Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Pain worse almost a year after laminectomy/ disectomy.

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
My pain is worse after laminectomy/ disectomy at L5/s1 last may. After hurting myself at work and going throught all of the less intrusive treatments (meds, physical therapy, epidural shots, nerve root shots) I agreed to the surgery. Post op I went to physical therapy 3 times a week for almost 6 months. The only thing that ever helped there was traction. This is a workers comp case, so they stopped paying for it when it wasn't helping much. JOrthopedist said from the beginning that I needed a fusion, but neurosurgeon is dead set against it. Says he wont have any part of it. Now doctors involved say that I have reached mmi.... but i'm still in horrible pain. So much that if I stand or move too fast I literally pass out sometimes..... I'm tired of being on painkillers, so have weaned myself off of them I'm still left with the pain though. Now workers comp is trying to pay me out a little money.... just to wash their hands of me I think. I know something is still wrong, but mri shows nothing pressing on the nerve root any more though. I still have the lower back pain and down the back of my left leg is even worse..... PLEASE HELP-- just need some kind of hope... seems like doctors think I'm not really hurting, but I can't even stand at the sink and wash dishes..... much less support my family...... frustrated and depressed.....
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper myopracticworks
|

replied March 11th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
Quote:
The only thing that ever helped there was traction.

Why not get one for use at home? There are many options available.
|

replied March 12th, 2012
i have one, but it doesn't pull hard enough... I'm really too big of a body for it to be effective. Big traction beds are thousands.....
|

replied March 12th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
You know yourself best, but my P/T recommended 70% of your body weight as a reasonable maximum. Moderators allowing, these are less than $500:

1) Saunders Lumbar Traction Hometrac - Deluxe
2) Teeter Hang Ups Spinal Stretch Back Stretcher.
3) Disc Traction Therapeutic Belt.
4) Inversion table.

There are other ways to decompress (Do a Google search). Did you try these in P/T?

1) "Static Back Position"
2) "Progressive groin stretch"
3) Have a massage professional "Release your psoas".
This is your primary hip flexor muscle. It attaches to all 5 lumbar bones .When it is tight, it puts constant compression on your lower back. So even if you decompress, as soon as you stop, the psoas goes right back to compressing your spine. So stretching will provide more LASTING results.
4) Al Meilus in Florida invented a robot which also releases your psoas.
I know people who have grown in height 1/2-1" by using this machine to release their psoas muscle.

Actually just sleeping at night by lying in a horizontal position will decompress your spine. If it does not, that means your muscles are tight. To prove it to yourself, measure your height when you get out of bed in the morning and then just before bedtime. You will find you have shrunk by 1/2 inch or so.

Just because you fall asleep does not mean you muscles automatically relax. I read that you have to be asleep for at least 4 hours before total muscle relaxation occurs and I'm not even sure about that.
|