Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Pain upon sneezing

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
is normal to sneeze and when you sneeze to have a sharp pain going through ojut the middle of the stomach area. also is a human being suppose to go number two more than 4 times a day and have little weird things in the poop.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2010
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A11924
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know whether pain may be experienced in the abdomen when sneezing. You also want to know whether it is normal to defecate more than four times a day.

Sneezing is a reflex process that occurs when there is irritation of the nasal lining which may appear during nasal or throat infections, allergies, irritations from strong perfumes, etc. During sneezing the abdominal muscles contract and individuals may sometimes experience pain (which is normal and usually disappears in a few seconds). Adult individuals normally defecate once a day, 3-5 times per week. If individuals defecate only once or twice per week it is considered to be constipation. If the number of times of defecation is increased to 2-3 and more per day it is considered to be diarrhea. In babies the number of instances of defecation is increased and is nearly the same as the number of times of breastfeeding.

Given the data that you described, you experience pain when sneezing. If you experience frequent defecation with mucus, pus or blood in the stool, you may consider having a bacterial culture with an antibiogram from a stool sample to rule out bacterial infections. You may also consider getting your stool sample checked for parasites to rule out parasitic infection.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment of your current condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.