Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pain Management Forum

Pain under right breast

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I have been having Pain on right side under the breast & around right side of my back. I have had ultra sounds, x-rays, and ct scans and they all come back clear. Last Saturday, the pain was so severe I went to the emergency room but they said all my test were normal. No one can tell me what is going on. I need some answers because it has been a week and I am still hurting. The doctors keep telling me I pulled a muscle, but I have not done anything to strain myself. When the attack happened we were at the dragstrip and I was just walking and sitting then all of a sudden I got this pain on the right side and I assumed it was gas but it just got worse. I just want someone to explain to me what could have caused the pain and what is going on.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 1st, 2009
Some clues that might help are what makes the pain worse/better, is it constant or does the intensity fluctuate, has it responded at all to any intervention (heat, cold, massage, medication)? The studies you've had will see most structural abnormalities (bones, muscles, organs) but not nerves. The distribution of your pain, WHERE it hurts, matches or makes sense for pain coming from one of your spinal nerves that run on the under-surface of your ribs. Those nerves can register pain in your brain if they are injured (blunt trauma to the area, turning too fast - not that you remember), pinched (herniated thoracic discs are pretty uncommon though), or infected (ever had chicken pox? was the pain preceded by a rash in the area?)
If you pulled a muscle, then using that muscle would make the pain worse, same for a bone injury. A partly collapsed lung, which can happen for no reason at all, will hurt more with breathing, might make you short of breath, and should have been easily seen on the CT or X-ray.
Hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pain Management , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.