Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Pain under ribs after pneumonia

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
What are all the sighns of Namonia???
Any answers?
Tell me please!
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0
I went to the hospital, because i was coughing and i had bad pain in my back. They did tests on me and thought that it might have been my goul bladder, when they found out that it was'nt, they sent me home with some decongestent pills. I went home, and had to deal with the pain for three days and nights. I could'nt even get up in the morning, cuase i was hurting so bad. I finaly took myself to the Sisters of Mercy Ergent Care. And they said it was eather a Kidney infection, or i had Namonia. SO, they called an Ambulance to come pick me up. When i went to the hospital, they told me i have Namonia in the bottom of my right lung. They gave me an antibiotic, and some Hydrocodone, for pain. It has been a week since i've been thaire. And i'm out of pain medicine, and i just took my last Antibiotic yestuerday. I'm still coughing really bad, but that might be because i'm trying to stop smoking. But any way. I still have pain, but its not as bad. The thing that i don't understand, is why i keep haveing bad pain in my right shoulder??? I can't even sleep on it. And i'm haveing pain in my back, right under my right side of my ribs. Do you think i should go back to the doctor, or wait a little longer, to see if i get better????? I have two kids, Ages 2, and three, and i have to be in good Health to take care of my kids!!! Please write me back as soon as you can, and give me your apinion!! Thank you for your time!! sunny
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 2nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I had this exact same thing when I had Pneumonia. Sometimes when you get a bad lung infection, it can cause inflammation (swelling) in the tissue that surrounds the lungs. It's called pleurisy and it can be extraordinarily painful. All the nerves and muscles in your back and chest are connected and pain can "refer" to one place from another. When I had it, I had a stabbing pain in my back and in my shoulder--like a hot knife. Does it hurt worse when you take a breath?

You should go back to the doctor and get another chest x-ray to make sure the pneumonia is going away. Ask if you should have a chest CT as well and ask if you should be checked for blood clots in the lung (it's unlikely that you have one, but ask if you should be checked anyway). Also, regular pain medication didn't really help me, but anti-inflammatories really did. Ask about taking ibuprofen or some other anti-inflammatory in higher than over-the-counter doses. But don't take more than the bottle says without your doctor telling you to.

What also helped me is putting ice on the painful areas (no more than 20 minutes at a time so you don't get frostbite) and binding my ribs with ace bandages.

Good luck. I hope you find relief soon. Write back if you need anything else or have any questions.
|

replied September 24th, 2012
Pneumonia
I also have pneumonia. I just went for my second xray yesterday and it has gotten worse Sad I have terrible Pain in my ribs in the front, my chest and sholder blade. Anti biotics often continue to work for three to five days after you take your last dose. So don't get discouraged just yet okay! I started on one antibiotic now after two weeks I have to take two, breathing treatments every four hours, steroids 2x's a day, advair, and inhaler! But I am hopeful Wink
|

replied October 31st, 2013
Pain in back behind right rib cage related to Pneumonia
I have a history of Bronchitus, Pneumonia,ect. in other words they call it copd. Two nights ago, I had this burning in my throat, oh no it's probally strep and then settles down in my lungs as Bronchitus. Yesterday the burning had left my throat but I was coughing up brown flem, last night I had blood in my flem. Now I can't move without a stabbing pain in my back behind my ribs on the right side. I'm wondering if the pneumonia has returned or could it be a kidney infection? I have had pneumonia 3 times this past year and bronchitus at least once a month.
|