Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pancreas Disorders Forum

Pain under lower left rib

Must Read
Gastritis is a general term for stomach disorder. Learn more about types of gastritis, and the anatomy of the stomach in this basic intro to gastritis....
Gastritis occurs when the stomach lining becomes irritated and inflamed. But what can cause this medical condition? Are you at risk of this stomach disorder?...
Gastritis, or stomach inflammation, can be either acute or chronic. Learn how to tell the difference and know when to seek medical help by reading here....
User Profile
I have been experienced pain under lower left rib and pain back of my left shoulder, if you know please give an advise.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 12th, 2010
Pancreas Disorders Answer A15195
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of pain located under the lower left rib and in the left shoulder.

Pain under the left rib cage may appear during pancreatitis, or sometimes in cases of heart conditions. Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas and is characterized by pain in the upper abdomen (under the rib cage), which may radiate towards the area between the shoulder blades. In rare cases, pain in the upper left abdomen under the rib cage may indicate infarction of the inferior muscle wall of the heart.

According to the data that you described, you may or may not experience one of the medical conditions listed above. See a gastroenterologist to exclude possible pancreatitis. You may also consider having an ECG scan to exclude possible heart conditions.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions. You may consider seeing your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pancreas Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.