Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

Pain under left breast and rib cage

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I have had pain under the left breast, under rib cage and radiating to arm pit on left arm. I have had breast cancer 2 times in the same area and have had radiation both times. They had to stop the radiation before all the treatments (about 2 or 3 left. I had a lumpectomy and had several lymph nodes removed under the arm. My husband thinks it might be a fractured rib, but I have the pain when I press lightly under the breast and above the arm pit. I can not press very hard. Don't get me wrong I am not a wimp. I pride myself in standing a lot of pain, but this has me somewhat concerned since I have had cancer 2 times in the same place. Any output would be greatly appreciated. I think I will have to call my doctor tomorrow.
Thanks,
Carol
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 15th, 2009
Radiation to the chest wall is certainly associated with the risk of some long-term complications, including necrosis (death) of the bone, fractures of radiation-damaged bones, accelerated arthritis, and, in rare cases, the delayed onset of cancers of the bone, cartilage, or fibrous tissues (sarcomas).

You did not indicate when you underwent these radiation treatments, but your symptoms merit further work-up, in my opinion. (One must also always be alert to the possibility of recurrence of your breast cancer.)

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FCS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.