Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Forum

pain starts from the top of my shoulder...

Must Read
Learn the basics about carpal tunnel syndrome here: causes, risk factors and complications....
Are some people born with carpal tunnel? More here on what can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and who is at risk of developing the condition....
Carpal tunnel syndrome is accompanied by very clear signs and symptoms. But how do symptoms change as the syndrome progresses? More info here....
User Profile
My pain starts from the top of my shoulder then to my fore ARM then to my pinkey thumb and finger my top of my thumb is numb all the tyme should I see a doctor?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 25th, 2011
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Answer A29709
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the pain starting from the shoulder radiating down to the forearm, thumb and pinkey finger.
Pains that occur along the top of the shoulder, and radiate into the side of the upper arm into the deltoid muscle, and further down the arm, even into the fingers, may be related to nerve impingement (pinched nerve), which can originate in the neck (cervical spine). Depending on the side of the hand, or the fingers affected will determine the nerve branch involved.
This condition called “Brachial Neuritis”, or “Brachial Neuralgia”, is due to the involvement of the group of nerves exiting from the spinal vertebrae, called the “Brachial Plexus”. The pain can be very intense on any movement of the arm and any pressure along the distribution of the nerve pathway.
For the same reason it is essential that you consult your personal physician for the evaluation of the pain as the same is not possible online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is for patient education only and no specific diagnosis is claimed thereby.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Carpal Tunnel Syndrome , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.