Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pain Management Forum

Pain relief without nausea

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I would like to know if there is a powerful (prescription) pain medication that does not usually cause nausea as a side effect. My doctor wants to prescribe oxycodone, but I have had nausea troubles with it in the past, and I'm looking for a second opinion. Any thoughts?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
AnonomousStranger,

Unfortunately, nausea is one of the most common side effect of opioids. It often tends to be dose related. Going up on the dosage slowly sometimes helps to prevent it. And some patients will notice a decrease in the nausea after taking the medicine for awhile. Try to avoid taking opioids on an empty stomach.

Every opioid is different, for each person. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing which one is going to cause problems for a specific patient. Sometimes, physicians will prescribe Zofran to help with the nausea at first. Some try to stay away from Phenergan, as it is so sedating, and on top of the opioid, may cause the patient to be too sleepy.

Good luck.
|
Users who thank Gaelic for this post: AnonomousStranger 

replied April 29th, 2011
• Release your inner endorphins. These natural chemicals block pain signals from reaching your brain. Endorphins are the body's natural pain relievers, and they can be as strong as many of the strongest pain relievers. Endorphins also help alleviate anxiety, stress and depression -- conditions that often accompany and exacerbate chronic pain. The body produces endorphins during aerobic exercise. A “runner’s high” is not just for those running long distances -- any activity that gets your blood pumping for a sustained period will release pain relieving endorphins into your system.

• Find good company. Those who have regular contact with others dealing with similar forms of chronic pain find that their pain becomes more manageable. An online group that is both active and supportive is best.

• Eat cookies. Research shows that eating sweet foods like cookies, chocolate or ice cream, helps reduce the sensation of pain.

• Or just bake the cookies. Enjoying a smell that is both sweet and pleasant has been shown to reduce the perception of pain.
|

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2011
I'm not 100% sure about this one. But it's been an effective supplement for reducing joint pain and aching joints. Might for you to check the health supplement "High Potency Joint Aid". It will help you to improve your joints and give you more mobility by helping rebuild the cartilage in your body.
|