Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Pain pill withdrawal

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
What are the long term (3-4 years) effects of sniffing opiates on a daily basis? Unfortunately, I have been doing this. At first for a condition that required using them orally, I just preferred to sniff them instead. Then I kept doing it cause I loved the buzz it gave me. One thing led to another, and now I'm doing it JUST TO KEEP THE PAIN AWAY (sever headaches around the temples, sore throat, watery eyes, ect, ect). This includes at night time. Sometimes, after a long hot, steamy shower, I can manage to blow a large semi-solid "chunk" out of my nose....mostly pill and blood and mucase all mixed together. It's a relief to blow this out, but after about an hour or so, I have a totally debilitating headache for a couple days, most likely until I can get my nose packed back full of pills again.

I have a professional job, at a large company, and at this point, I'm worried it could easily affect my job and my career. Also, my wife does not know, but is starting to figure out something is wrong with me.

Sometimes I have to sniff some every 2 hours or so to keep the headaches at bay. Also, it now appears there is a hole inside of my nose (I can see light from the left nostril shining into the right nostril!!), from one side to the other. Needles to say this has freaked me out - and I'm now on a mission to stop this madness altogether. What has happened? Will it heal itself? How can I make the headaches go away, or at least be tolerable? Has ANYONE out there ever been through this? I feel pretty lost on this. My main thing for sniffing is Percocet.

Please help - someone, anyone. I would be forever indebted to you. Thanks!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Oh Boy!
You do have a ginuine real problem here. First of all, I think you need to be truthful and tell you wife. If she loves you, she will be your biggest support system. Next, after fully reading you post twice, I have come to the conclusion that your only way to kick this is to go into rehab. It's the only way. You want to stay clean and keep you job? Then now is the time to truthful. Your employer is going to find out sooner or later anyway and would you not feel better being first to tell. If you've been with the company long enough, they may even give you time off for this without a song and dance first. The truth is hard but, the truth will set you free. Please help yourself and go get cleaned up. Your wife I am sure loves you and will be by your side. Don't be afraid to tell her and your employer.

Carrie
|

replied April 19th, 2008
i know its been a while since u posted your problem but i just found this web site and so far your the only one i have found who has the same exact problem as me. I'm only 19 years old almost 20 and i have been on painpills for almost 5 yrs now. All I do is snort painpills all day long i cant do anything without them my nose hurts me so bad unless i have pill clogged up in it. even when im asleep i have to wake up just to snort something. I have now lost custody of my little girl over pills and everything and just a month or so ago i found out i was pregnant again, and still cant stop. I have tried everyway in the world to quit and now were i've went so long and got my nose so bad the pain is so unbearable that i dont have the will power to do it. I finally got enough balls to admit it to my social workers and here in a few very short weeks im going to detox first then a 30 day rehab program. I hate to be the one to break it to u but what your describing sounds just like me and if it is your nose will probley have to be fixed by a dr, mine had to. I think the best advice i can give is do what im gonna do go to detox and rehab. i have ruined my life my childhood and my teenage yrs was all about pills. and im so tired of not having anything. everything ive ever had ive sold for pills...hell even the clothes off my back. but b4 it gets to the point to were u cant work please get help. i had to actually quit my job because my nose is so bad its constanly running and has pill hanging out and i cant hardly go out in public. but i hope this helps...i dont want no one to go through what ive been through.
|