Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Pain on left side near ribs

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I have a sharp pain on the left side just below where the rib cage curves. I don't really know how to describe it but measuring, if I measure from the the center of my rib cage and then to the left (my left) it is about 3 inches down and an inch to the left (I am skinny and you can see the "6 pack" and it is the middle of the muscles on the left). If I put pressure on it, it doesn't hurt. I can't make it hurt.

I will say that when I sleep it is on my side (opposite side of the hurting). I say this because I notice that when I sleep my back is not totally straight. I also notice it after drinking. Haven't deduced whether or not it is from drinking alcohol or water. Those are the two things that I pretty much only drink (and sweet tea if I am at a restaurant.) I don't drink much beer but honestly it is anywhere from 1-3 a night (only been drinking for maybe 2-3 years max). Please no lectures on drinking, i know it isn't good for you. I can go the whole day without the pain and then at night the pain hits.

The pain isn't really sharp or unbearable. It doesn't seem to be from sitting any certain way or from doing anything in particular.

I am worried but I don't want to schedule a visit to the doctor because I am not a fan of them. I tried to locate the pain (liver, kidney, etc) and can't seem to find the organ it might be related to. The pain is close to the surface as opposed to being in the center or near my back.

I have no other symptoms such as a high temp or vomiting or anything. Just the pain. My urine has been pretty clean depending on the water I drink. My skin is not discolored in any way and the white in my eyes is not discolored. My poop is a normal color and haven't noticed any discolor. I also use the bathroom regularly as in a normal morning visit to the bathroom for #2 and regular pee output throughout the day.

Yes I'm thorough but that is because I have researched possible problems as well as I know doctors might frequent these forums and the more details the better. Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2009
Supporter
Yes, see the doctor..Lab work will reveal if you have liver problems or kidney problems..I just had lab work and it came back with alk phos of 146 and eosinophils of 4.7..I automaticaly get my lab results even before the docs contact me..I am now waiting to see what the next step will be..Like you I have left rib pain-more annoyhing and tender than deep..For me it is midway between the back and sternum..Do you get lower abdominal pain? Does your lower back hurt? DO you get nauseated? Does food make you feel ill? Do you throwup? are you on any meds that could enhance or strengthen the alcohol that you take in? I don't drink maybe a glass of wine a month..But, Iam on methotrexate for arthritis so that could potentially cause problems..Hopefully you will find your problem is stress or over working the abs..just cause though get lab work..
|

replied August 3rd, 2009
i have the same exact problem he described. i dont wanna go to the doctor either because i dont have insurance to cover a 3,000 dollar mri.i am a heavy drinker so i was wondering if that had anything to do with drinking also. i read the follow up reply and would like to say" thanks for nothing a**hole!"
|

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2009
Supporter
kingognati-i have the same exact problem he described. i dont wanna go to the doctor either because i dont have insurance to cover a 3,000 dollar mri.i am a heavy drinker so i was wondering if that had anything to do with drinking also. i read the follow up reply and would like to say" thanks for nothing a**hole!"

There are ways of getting medical help..Since you have computer access you can put in free medical help and then your area where you live and it should pull up assistance for your area..

(thanks for nothing a**hole--don't know what your problem is but try to at least ask questions that someone can try to help you with..You had no question but a statement..*His original post stated he was not going to the doctor because he is not a big fan of doctors)..

I can tell you that I have alot of drunks in my family or I have alot of alcoholics if you prefer that term..

If as you say you are drinking heavy-and your exact wordage was-I am a heavy drinker=then I hope you do get to the doctors..

Some places will allow anyone without insurance to go to the ER..Some places won't..So please, look around your area for medical help..If you are an alcoholic and unable to keep a job then maybe you can get medicaid to help you..I do have sympathy for anyone who is a daily heavy drinker-and I know you didn't say you were..There are half way houses for alcoholics to live at until they are strong enough to go back out on their own..

Alcoholisum is a disease and there is help -if-you want it..
|

replied August 4th, 2009
sorry about that...i was just frustrated cause my side was hurting and id been searching the web for over an hour and wasnt getting any answers.i typed a question on one site asking what an enlarged spleen meant...it said its a spleen thats larger than normal...lol...but anyway my pain is in the exact same spot he said his was so i was trying to look at diagrams of the bodies organs to get an idea of what it could be.i didnt have much luck because the liver is on the other side i guess.it seems like it doesnt really hurt until i start drinking which sounds weird so i wouldnt be shocked if it did have to do with my drinking.ill try to take your advise and check to see if im eligible for medicaid or something like that. but anyway... thank you for trying.
|

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2009
Supporter
Honey, thank you for coming back on and talking..If you have questions or just wanna talk you can PM me..Like I said I am use to talking to family members who drink or drank too much..It is scarey for you and for your family and friends..Please don't put off getting in..If you have ever been arrested you can call the police department..If you haven't then call anyway..Let them know you want help..They will be happy to talk with you or guide you to the right place..Call 911 and ask for help..Honest it is there..My brother died 2 years ago from alcoholisum and pneumonia with a heart attack..The alcohol depressed is system tremendously as I'm sure you know..I havve sites on my home computer I can send yuo with more information about the liver etc..If intersted send a PM..k
|

replied August 4th, 2009
It could very well be your gallbladder---and yes it's from drinking. I have the same problem.
|

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2009
Supporter
Beergurl is right as well--gallbladder can feel as bad as a heart-attack..If this is the case (gallbladder) you will most likely end up in the ER and have the gallbaldder removed..yep-it hurts that bad..k
|

replied October 31st, 2009
Same Pain...gallbladder???
But the gallbladder is on the right side! I am on this site because I have had a dull aching pain at the same place for two days now and it is worrying me.
How can it be the gall bladder as I was told it was in the middle or more to the right. I did just have my appendix out three weeks ago and now this!!!
|

replied August 19th, 2013
I do NOT drink alcohol and I have had this same pain for 4 days. It hurts to lay on my left side but if I touch the area it isn't tender so I know it isn't muscle strain or from laying or sleeping wrong. It started out about towards my back in the left lower rib cage area but has progressed to the worst pain being in the front of my rib cage right at the lower most rib where it curves in. I have had some loose stools (about a week ago) and some nausea (around same time) but I am regular now. Also my stomach has been making crazy weird sounds gurgling etc.. I don't know if it's related but I don't have insurance so don't want to see a Dr. or go to ER and end up with a huge bill I cannot pay. I haven't been able to find any helpful info on what could be causing this. It has happened before and usually goes away on it's own within a few days. This time it doesn't appear to want to go away.. Anyone have any clues?
|