Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Pain killers for gallstones?

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I have just been told I might have gallstones, I'm waiting to get an ultrasound test, I have been given some pain killers, but these seem not to work, the pain is not that bad but comes on at nigh so I can't sleep, it lasts around 6 hours, it's a dull pain at the base of my right ribs, I have had the pain in the same place but on my back, last time I had the pain was 2 days ago but this time was a feeling of blocked wind in the same place instead of the bull ache, I only seem to get the pain once every 2 weeks, I have been given Buscopan hyoscine butylbromide 10mg, told to take 1-2 when needed, only got them this week but they didn't do anything for the blocked air feeling, not tried them on the dull ache pain yet.

I guess what I'm asking is do I need different meds or is what I'm on OK,or would some kind of meds to remove blocked air be best for the blocked air type feeling? I could live with the pain if it was in the daytime but nightime it really is a pain so to speak LOL.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2012
(online)
Welcome to e health forum.

Improved diet (Avoidance of high fatty foods and grease), Physical exercise, weight loss provide the best results ‎in ‎‎‎individuals with low functioning gall bladder. Medicines to improve digestion and cleanse the gall bladder ‎can also ‎‎‎be prescribed to help in improvement of symptoms. ‎

Here are some diet measures, that a individual with gall bladder related symptoms can follow to reduce as well as prevent future symptoms.

Your diet should include: Lean meat, skinned fish and chicken ; Eggs ; Skimmed milk ; Low fat cheese, ‎‎yogurts and ‎spreads ; Soups ; Salads ; Grilled fish and chicken; Legumes

A high fibre diet is also recommended. Include at least 3-4 servings of vegetables a day and 2-4 ‎servings of fruit ‎each day. Fruits like - Dried fruits (dates, apricots, prunes, raisins); raspberries, ‎blackberries, ‎strawberries, blueberries, ‎and oranges can help reduce the symptoms.‎

Foods that need to be avoided: include Fried foods ; Spicy food ; Whole grain breads ; Cereals, seeds ‎‎and nuts ; ‎Baked beans ; Broccoli ; Cabbage ; Brussel sprouts; Cauliflower ; Peanuts ; and Pastries.

You may consult your doctor or a dietician, who can help to provide additional information regarding diet, specifically to your requirements, and also prescribe more helpful medications.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.