Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

pain is only when I am laying down...

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
Hi, I have had abdominal pain for at least 5 years, The pain is only when I am laying down, it is a sore/burning feeling, when I breathe it makes the pain in my stomach worse. When im standing up i dont have any pain. I fixed the problem by sleeping on my side, that would solve my problems. This last year sleeping on my side does not work anymore. I took 5 tums a night it does not work, if I go to bed hungry it usually fixes my problems, if i go to bed 2 hours after dinner the pain is there. I went to the doctor and they had me get a CT scan, the results showed an enlarged lymph node in my abdomen. Could it be H.pylori, or Gastritis, Im fearing the worse (Cancer).

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2012
Abdominal Pain Answer A33010
Welcome to e health forum.

The description of your pain appears to be a acute gastritis or due to peptic ulcer disease.

Adequate antacids (Tums, Mylanta, prevacid) and Omeprazole (Acid reducing medication) can help ‎relieve the symptoms provided the required dosage is taken properly. In addition maintaining adequate hydration ‎and adopting a sitting upright posture for 1 hr post meals will help in relieving the symptoms. ‎

You may consult with your doctor and undergo a upper GI endoscopy which can provide conclusive diagnosis based on the findings. It can also help to rule out H pylori infection via testing of biopsied tissue.

Treatment of the underlying condition can help in relieving your symptoms.

In addition, you might follow proper dietary measures as follows:

Foods that can help to improve your symptoms include ‎
‎1. fruits such as pears, oranges, sweet limes, watermelons, cantaloupes etc
‎2. MILK products like - yoghurt and cottage cheese
‎3. Non Vegetarian food products – include - lean cuts of meat, white meat from chicken and turkey, and ‎seafoods

Foods that need to be avoided include – ‎
‎
‎1. Alcoholic beverages, caffeinated drinks, carbonated water, and deserts high in sugar and white flour
‎2. Foods prepared from white flour, like puddings, breads, bagels and pretzels also should be avoided. ‎
‎3. Vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, all kinds of beans and legumes, full fat milk, onions and green ‎peas should be avoided. ‎
‎4. Nonvegetarian foods to be avoided include - cured meats and high fat meat products such as ‎sausages, salami, ham, bacon, and cold cuts ;Red meats like beef, lamb, and venison - should be less ‎in your meals ‎
‎5. Seasonings such as onion, garlic, clove, and cinnamon may irritate your stomach lining and worsen ‎the symptoms due to gastritis ‎

Other measures that can help you in addition to the above dietary measures include ..
‎1. Walking or running thirty minutes regularly
‎2. Stress reduction
‎3. Learn to relax with breathing exercises like Yoga

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.