Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Pain in the upper left chest area

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
From time to time over the past several months I have experienced a mild, but sharp pain, sometimes accompanied by an achiness, in my left upper chest, close to the armpit but still in the pectoral area. It is not related to exercise. I have done push-ups occasionally, but not recently.

Any pain in the chest makes me fear heart attack but my review of heart attack symptoms on the web seems to exclude that diagnosis. I'm apprehensive about seeing a doctor because he'll put me a hospital for 3 days and come out with no diagnosis like Rush Limbaugh. Thank you for your kind help.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2010
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A8989
Hi,welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.

Your concern is regarding the chest pain in the left upper chest. There are a host of causes for the pain in the upper left chest including musculoskeletal pain which is usually sharp but sometimes a dull aching. It can also be caused by arthritis of the shoulder or the spine. Your pain does not seem to be consistent with the pain of myocardial ischemia. Ten percent of people with chest pain can have a panic disorder or other emotional conditions. Cervical disk disease or herpes zoster can also cause pain in specific nerve distribution.

If pain still persists you can consult your doctor who will guide you on a further course after a thorough evaluation as no definitive diagnosis can be made online.
Hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.