Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

pain in the left side of my chest and arm, palpatations....

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
User Profile
Hi there.

I have had a pain in the left side of my chest and going down my left arm for a few weeks now. I have been to the doctors but he took my blood pressure and that was it. I have also started to notice I am havin heart palpatations. It hurts even when I am sitting doing nothing. I am quite worried about it as it seems to be my heart area.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2012
Abdominal Pain Answer A33970
Welcome to e health forum.

At your age, of 20 years, it is unlikely that you will have major medical disorders. Since you had a recent medical examination, it is certain that you are normal.

But it is possible that your symptoms are due to gastritis or gastric reflux.

Gastritis pain occurs in the left upper portion of the abdomen and in the back. The pain seems to travel from the belly to the back. Other symptoms of gastritis include - Belching, Nausea and vomiting, Bloating, Feeling of fullness or burning in the upper part of the belly.

For the time being, you may need to avoid foods that are spicy and with high fat content. Avoid foods like - puddings, breads, bagels and pretzels are usually made with white flour and refined sugar ; vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, all kinds of beans and legumes, full fat milk, onions and green peas should be avoided. Cured meats and high fat meat products such as sausages, salami, ham, bacon, and Red meats like beef and lamb should be reduced in consumption or avoided totally.

Treatment of your symptoms due to acid reflux or gastritis can be tried with over the counter antacids like Gelusil, tums, mylanta and acid reducing medications like omeprazole.

If they do not help, then, stronger medications that protect the stomach's lining or lessen acid production in the stomach are available by prescription from a gastroenterologist.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.