Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Pain in right side of upper back

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
Hello there,

I am having pains when swallowing, and in my upper right side of my back, it has been going on for a while now but doctors do not seem worried. But i am, i have been sent for an endoscopy, but just wondering what it could be, Its painful to swallow sometimes, and a split second after or sometimes at the same time i have a nasty pain in right upper back, the pain is always in the same place, and also i am awoken some nights with the same pain, however i havent eaten in hours. It is very painful and comes in waives.. There is also a pain in my throat, near my adams apple. Like i said the pains are not always when im swallowing.

Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2011
(online)
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Based on the history, it seems that your right sided abdominal pain could be associated with the following conditions :-
1. Hepatitis, or
2. gall bladder inflammation (Cholecystitis ) OR gall stones (Cholelithiasis).
3. GERD or Peptic ulcer disease
4. Colitis ( inflammation of the right colon)
5. Right sided renal stones.

Since the pain is of very severe nature, you might benefit by getting tested for the above conditions by tests including - blood tests (liver function tests), A liver ultrasound or a abdominal CT scan. These tests in addition to the endoscopy (that has been scheduled) will be helpful to give a proper diagnosis.

I Hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.