Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Pain in right side of back

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
A week ago I started having this pain on my right side of my back. Its like having a charlie horse, like a knot. The pain gets unbearable, it stops me right in my tracks. I can be sitting down, standing, sleeping or walking. I cant move whenever this pain happens. I have no idea what is causing it. I even tries to stretch a little hoping it will stop but it dont. Can someone please let me know what it can be. Thank you for your answer and what can I do to prevent this
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 2nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You need to go to the doctor and get this checked as soon as you can. The fact that it started so suddenly and the pain is so severe, that sounds like it might be something other than a muscle problem. This could be due to a gallbladder or kidney stone or infection. Ask for an abdominal ultrasound, a urine test, and blood test to check for infection. Do you have any lung symptoms (even mild), like shortness of breath, cough, tightness in your chest, etc? If so, ask for a chest x-ray or a chest ct to check for pneumonia, which could be causing inflammation in the lining of your lungs (I've had it, it's "unbearable").

If it is at all possible you could be pregnant, rarely this kind of pain (especially if it is in the lower back) can indicate a tubal (ectopic pregnancy). Ask for a pregnancy test, too.

If everything comes out clear, then it may be a muscle issue, but make sure they consider these other possibilities first. If they dismiss it as muscle pain and it's your gallbladder or something, that could be serious. Let us know what you find out. If the pain gets too severe or you can't get into your doctor, go to the emergency room or an urgent care clinic. Don't just grin and bear it.
|

replied November 2nd, 2009
definatly sounds like a kidney stone, if so pain will only get worse.. go see a doc !!
|