Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

pain in my sternum bone in my chest?

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
User Profile
i have been gettin alot of pain in my sternum bone in my chest for the past 11 weeks i went to accident and emergency as i thought it maybe my heart had tests done ECG bloodtests and it shows nothing they also referred me to a cardiologist which i recently saw that confirmed it was not my heart i also had a treadmill test
during the 11 weeks the pain as been constant day and night the pain is now to the point where its in my stomach also over the past week and half i have had a terrible headache which as been constant and ive been aching all over and feeling very depressed which is affecting my mood
i have been to see my doctor who said first it was acid reflux which he gave me medication for it did not work then he said it was muscular he as referred me now to a rhemertoid clinic at hospital i have tried diffrent pain killers and anti inflamatries and they do not work the pain gets worse when i eat and when i lie down in bed
do u have any suggestions please im desperate?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2011
Chest Pain Answer A21940
Hello and thank you for your post on e health forum.

From the history provided it seems that you might be having a condition called Diffuse esophageal spasm, which is a motility disorder of the esophagus.

This has the classic presentation of a retrosternal chest pain , difficulty swallowing and severe distressing symptoms.

Since all the symptoms that you have mentioned, in your history, indicate that DES could be the possible diagnosis for you.

For confirmation, you might undergo a motility studies of the esophagus, which will give a definitive diagnosis.

The treatment of this condition includes a prescription medication which relaxes the muscles of the esophagus and hence relieves the spasm and hence the symptoms.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.