Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Pain in my inner upper thigh

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
Since Saturday i have been having a pain in my inner upper thigh. i can pinpoint the exact spot its coming from. It feels like its inside a tendon or artery. i also read about pulling a nerve so i was thinking it might be that. the pain has been increasing everyday. it also feels tingly. i tried to go running today but my first step while running shot a shooting pain through my entire leg. the pain is constant and rarely goes away.

it started the same day i kicked my car, so that could have brought on the pain.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper laterdude
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
laterdude,
Sounds like you probably injured one or more of your adductor muscles. They're a large group of muscles that bring the leg towards the center or across the body; located on the medial (inner) thigh. They stretch from the pelvis to the tibia. (Soccer style kickers use these muscles a lot.) A strain of the adductors can cause pain at the site of injury, possibly radiating into the groin and down to the knee. Local swelling can sometimes cause small sensory nerves to be compressed and producing tingling. The pain associated with a muscle injury is worst when the muscle is used; in the case of the adductors - as when moving an object across in front of your body with your foot.
It can sometimes take a while for symptoms from a significant muscle tear to resolve. You can try some ice (acute pain/swelling), heat (more soothing), hot tub/whirlpool, massage, compression wrap (not too tight), and/or OTC medicines such as tylenol or motrin (if not countraindicated by any health problems you may have). If the symptoms persist or get worse (increased swelling, increased pain, need for cane/crutches, etc), then you should probably see your physician. Hope you get back to activity soon. Try not to kick anything so much larger than yourself in the future. Your car doesn't feel the pain. Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Gaelic for this post: laterdude 
Quick Reply