Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Pain in my fingers on my right hand after waking up, everyday!

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
For just over a month I've woken up every morning with pain in my right hand. It started with just my index finger however for about a week now my pinky finger also hurts. The pain lasts for about 30-45 minutes in which I cannot make a fist or really move my fingers or hand without extreme discomfort.

Throughout the day I don't feel it much, but it still hurts a little bit and is uncomfortable to close my hand.

The pain is constant after taking a short nap or having a full night's sleep.
I have arthritis in my knee from a dislocation about 4 years ago but the pain in my hand doesn't feel the same (though I imagine it would probably feel a bit different).

I'm getting a bit worried as I thought it was a temporary discomfort and would go away however it seems to be getting worse. I am a teacher at a school by day and do spend about half my day on the computer however do not think its carpal tunnel as I am not constantly in the same position at my keyboard.

Any advice/opinions or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I will go to the doctor but not sure of what tests to do, etc. I also live in Vietnam which poses several issues as the medical centers here are less than 1st class, and through the obvious language barrier, there are further complications. A first opinion would be great, and then I will take this information to my physician later on this week.

Thanks very much in advance for your time.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

The presence of persistent pain, morning stiffness, and reduced mobility could be caused by
1. Inflammatory conditions affecting the soft tissues like tendons, muscles of the hands - Eg. synovitis, tendinitis, myositis, etc or
2. Inflammation or Infection of the small bones or joints (arthritis).

A physical examination will be very essential to make a proper diagnosis of your condition. A basic panel of tests including a complete hemogram, ESR, Rheumatoid factor (RF), Anti-CCP and a X ray of the hand may be done to detect arthritis and also know the cause involved. If the clinical findings are supportive a MRI may also be done.

In the mean time, taking anti inflammatory medications like Advil or motrin and Tylenol, should be helpful to reduce the pain and inflammation. Application of icepacks will also help.

|

replied February 12th, 2013
I have similar, it started after long haul flight and has continued every morning. It hurts to close my hand into a fist, my right hand mainly, I am left landed. It is more my middle and ring finger and the pain is from knuckle downwards. It goes after 10 mins of using my hand so I am reluctant to take pain killers as it is ok through the day. It did start with both hands but my left hand has eased once I took off my wedding ring. I am 48 and otherwise fit and healthy. I thought about taking Krill oil tablets? What worked for you?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Arthritis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.