Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Pain in lower left rib when standing, pops when coughing

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
When I am standing, I get a large pain under my lower left rib. It feels much better when i sit down, it goes away. At first i thought this might be just a stitch but when I laugh or cough i can feel it pop. If i put my hand on it. I can feel it pop. What could this be? It has been bothering me for over a year now, and it disrupts me as i cannot stand for long periods of time. What could this be? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
TaylorStyles,

Without an examination, it is difficult to say what is going on.

It is possible that you have injured the fascial bands and/or ligaments which hold the lower ribs in place. But, you also have to look at the structures which are under the ribs; the spleen, diaphram, large bowel, etc.

If the problem continues to bother you significantly, you will need to have it checked out.

Good luck.
|

replied May 10th, 2013
Pain When Standing and Enlarged Rib (Left)
I feel similar pain when standing for longer than 10 minutes. Especially when I feel appetite. But, in my case, one of left ribs is enlarged. This seem happened after completion of my TB (pleural effusion) treatment. I was prescribed with AKT-4 for almost 10 months.

Do you think this is a side effect of medicines?

Please help
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
Sheru,

Without an examination and possibly some x-rays, it is not really possible to tell.

Unfortunately, TB can also infect the bones. So, if you have noticed the enlargement of one of your ribs, you may want to have this looked at by your physician.

Good luck.
|