Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

pain in left upper quadrant under rib cage

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I am a 50 year old female. I have seen doctors for many years trying to find a reason for frequent pain in the left upper quadrant of my abdomen just under the midline of my rib cage. It feels sort of like a fullness or swelling just under the rib cage and gets worse if I lie on my back. I can sometimes relieve the pain/discomfort if I roll to my left side. The pain gets much worse after I take medication such as aspirin. I have had several x-rays at one point and the only thing that showed up was a swollen area between my ileum/jejunum. The doctor did not have an answer. The pain/fullness is frequent and uncomfortable. It feels sort of like a twisting or pulling and sometimes it radiates to my back.The pain has gotten much worse after taking aspirin and almost feels like an ulceration or burning now along with the fullness. I also notice that it gets worse after I drink alcohol.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 28th, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The description of the pain which increases with intake of aspirin and alcohol is most probably due to gastritis.

You might consult a gastroenterologist who can perform a Upper GI endoscopy, and other tests for a proper diagnosis and start the necessary treatment.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.