Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Pain in head when swallowing

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I was wondering if anyone had an experience of this - a couple of weeks ago I felt ill for about a week, I had a bit of a sore throat, some pain behind my ears and in my neck, a slight headache in my forehead that would cause pain down my nose but the main problem was pain in the side of my head in a specific area every time I swallowed.
I made a full recovery and felt fine for two - three weeks but now I have exactly the same symptoms again, they came back quite suddenly, the pain in the side of my head when swallowing started first and the rest has followed.
I wouldn't say I'm in a lot of pain or feel very unwell - it's just more annoying and uncomfortable, I don't enjoy going to the Doctors and avoid it unless I have to. The reason I feel concerned at the moment is that I have never had this problem with swallowing before and I've experienced it twice in almost as many weeks.
I would really like some advice, reassurance or to hear from anyone who has experienced the same sort of thing.
Thanks so much!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 6th, 2008
Would love a reply or some advice as I'm feeling worse today and not really sure what to do. Sad
|

replied October 27th, 2009
pain in head when i swollow
I have the same thing it started this morning . Did u find out what yours was? thanks Michelle
|

replied April 19th, 2010
Pain Swallowing
I am kind of in the same position. For about 5 days now, Whenever I swallow my food, I get a sharp pain on the front right side of my head. I dont have a headache I just get this pain when I swallow.
I''m to scared to go to the doctors, but really would like some advice on this.PLEASE HELP!
|

replied April 19th, 2010
Pain Swallowing
I am kind of in the same position. For about 5 days now, Whenever I swallow my food, I get a sharp pain on the front right side of my head. I dont have a headache I just get this pain when I swallow.
I''m to scared to go to the doctors, but really would like some advice on this.PLEASE HELP!
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied March 27th, 2011
Question: What might be causing pain to radiate from the base of my skull up the back of my head to the top of my head on the left side only and only when I swallow - off and on for about a year or so?

Answer:
The ONLY thing I can think of that would do this, is a neuroma (small benign tumor of a nerve brnach --or a "trigger point"--somewhere in the area of your larynx.
I've seen something like this in folks with "Occipital neruitis" , whick is where a nerve comes out from your skull roughly 1/2 way between your spine and left ear...
Look at it this way... Nerves leave a central point and fan out just like the branches of a tree. If you stimulate one of the nerve fibers ("branch") it will cause a retrograde (backward) discharge if the nerve which stimulates another branch of that same nerve group, making it feel like the pain is arizing from the second branch... Nerve fibers are merely like electrical wires in your house... They are either "off" (no shooting pain) [or touch, coldness, heat, etc] or they are "on" ( shooting pain, etc...
It sounds like something iws causing the occipital nerve at the base of your skull to discharge, making you feel the pain shoot fowward over your scalp towards the front of your head on that side.
If you can find a place where pressing on it will cause the syptoms you've described, a neurologist can inject that "trigger point", thereby (most likely) fixing your problem...
|

replied February 13th, 2014
I have had the SAME issue on and off (mostly off) for the past 20 years. Every once in a great while this happens to me, too. There is a tender spot on the top of the left side of my skull. When I swallow fizzy stuff (soda, beer) it hits the left side of my throat and a pain shoots up to that tender spot at the top of my head. I don't feel ill or anything. It's just a big annoyance and really hurts. Sometimes, the pain is so tough that it makes my face scrunch, but after a week to two weeks, it just goes away. Sometimes I go years with no issues and then out of the blue, BAM! It's back. So glad to hear that someone else has the same thing. I'm going to Google "Occipital Neruitis". Thanks!
|