Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Pain in front teeth after wisdom tooth extraction

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I had both bottom wisdom teeth extracted 9 days ago and have been experiencing a lot of pain in all of my bottom teeth but especially the four front center teeth for the last five days. When I had my follow-up appointment with the oral surgeon on day 7 (he has been in practice for 40 years and came highly recommended, by the way) he said there was really no reason why I should be experiencing this pain. I asked him if it was possible that my teeth had shifted forward and were crowding my front teeth. He said, "no." His suggestion was to continue taking Advil as necessary for the pain and give it another week. Has anyone else experienced such pain in their front teeth after having wisdom teeth extracted? If it's not caused by the rest of the teeth shifting forward then what could it possibly be? And, how long will it last? It's quite painful.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper renee138
|

replied June 30th, 2009
Nobody replied to my original post so I thought I would give an update on the situation for anyone who may have the same experience.

The pain has subsided considerably. My best guess at this point is that it was just the trauma to my lower jaw from the procedure that caused the other teeth to be painful. If anyone having a similar issue happens to stumble across this post in the future, my advice would be to just try and wait it out and the pain will go away. Hopefully.
|
Users who thank John778 for this post: nbarrett0002 

replied May 2nd, 2014
Mine were removed 12 days ago today and I'm experiencing similar symtoms. I can't call the oral surgeon since the office is closed untill Monday.I'll wait and continue to take my pain medication.
|

replied February 4th, 2011
Pain\pressure in lower front teeth after wisdom teeth extraction
I am experiencing the same kind of pain in my front lower teeth..It is so annoying and painful..how long did yours last, i'm really nervous, its been 7 days for me now and i kno i cant put up with this much more..my extraction sites dont even hurt much anymore..by the way I had all my wisdom teeth pulled and 1 extra..HELP!
|

replied April 18th, 2012
nerve
I am also experiencing the same problem, it comes and goes and the teeth that hurt vary. I had all four of my wisdom teeth extracted five days ago (all fully erupted). I know that there is a nerve that runs between the roots of all of your teeth that can sometimes be damaged our temporarily effected by swelling or cysts that developaround the nerve. It is a very annoying feeling I'm just gonna keep myself healthy and hope for the best. Keep the area clean and don't jar anything it's the advice I'd give...I'm scheduled for another follow up appointment on Friday I'll let you guys know how I'm doing after that
|

replied April 18th, 2012
I am also experiencing the same problem, it comes and goes and the teeth that hurt vary. I had all four of my wisdom teeth extracted five days ago (all fully erupted). I know that there is a nerve that runs between the roots of all of your teeth that can sometimes be damaged our temporarily effected by swelling or cysts that developaround the nerve. It is a very annoying feeling I'm just gonna keep myself healthy and hope for the best. Keep the area clean and don't jar anything it's the advice I'd give...I'm scheduled for another follow up appointment on Friday I'll let you guys know how I'm doing after that
|

replied May 4th, 2012
I think some amount of pain and discomfort is expected for few days after tooth extraction The. amount of pain which occurs after tooth extraction is dependent on the procedure which is used for the extraction of the tooth and the degree of trauma to the adjacent tissues.
|

replied August 23rd, 2012
I have the exact pain too. I got my low right wisdom tooth extracted, & the roots of the tooth were super curled up. So the dentist had a hard time taking it out. I guess he struck a nerve & it caused my front bottom tooth to hurt like it had been shifted & there was lots of pressure. In that area. My lip & my lower guns also felt tingling sort of like as if it was still numb. I asked the dentist & he told me there is a nerve that goes from the jaw to the front of your teeth & it was stuck causing the discomfort. He said this one girl took 6 months for the nerve to fuse itself back together. It just takes time.... Hopefully :/ I'm actually still in this pain
|

replied October 8th, 2012
I have the same pain as you right now renee138 - can you tell me how long yours lasted? Today is day 5 for me and I'm having difficulty sleeping, eating and I've been out of work because the pain and discomfort is difficult for me to deal with - I have constant ice packs and heat packs on.
|

replied November 11th, 2012
pain in other teeth after wisdom tooth extraction
i had my lower left wisdom tooth taken out and they only removed one because my wisdom teeth are horizontal and said that will hurt a lot after surgery. this is my 4th day after surgery and it feels as though the pain has gotten much worse. i don't feel any pain in my jaw or at the extraction point, but in the lower left side teeth (near the extraction). my head, my ear and gums are very painful and i've been taking way more paracetamol than recommended. (is it by the way relevant to think about a paracetamol overdose?) is this normal?
|

replied November 22nd, 2012
Dry socket and paresthesia
I have a dry socket and paresthesia after getting two wisdom teeth pulled. I'm 10 days post op and my mouth is in terrible shape on thanksgiving. Had the socket packed as that pain was unbearable now my front teeth hurt, lip and chin numb, and mouth just sore. I'm 40 and was skeptical about doin this procedure should've went with my gut now don't know when if ever my mouth will ever be the same
|

replied December 6th, 2012
Molar removed, frontal discomfort...
Me too!! One week today... left molar (wisdom tooth) removed... just the front is very annoying.. numb and a little painful throb... especially the pointy tooth... doc says be patient .. it takes time.. and the radiating pain is definitely from dry socket... he put clove like dressing gauze into the socket .. some relief... pain is less than 2 nights ago but still there and VERY ANNOYING.. I am 47... praying this all goes away soon, (someday, NOT permanent!, no that's suppsedly really REALLY rare) UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
|

replied December 7th, 2012
extraction problems
Maria, sorry to hear about your condition. I am entering the fourth week and my socket is still sore. No where near that early pain though. Point tooth and the two beside it are still numb and feel frozen with the the big lip feeling still going on. I can say that its getting better but 4 weeks in?? Im 40 and never should've removed that tooth.
|

The throb has gotten less overnight... now it is just a matter of keeping the dry socket clean/ and praying for the paraesthesia numbness to go away. I think very little has subsided tho it is hard to tell... Day by day! Sad It is 8 days now...............
|

The throb has gotten less overnight... now it is just a matter of keeping the dry socket clean/ and praying for the paraesthesia numbness to go away. I think very little has subsided tho it is hard to tell... Day by day! Sad It is 8 days now...............
|

Yea,every night especially when my chin is inching or my lip is tingling I pray I wake up and its gone. Not yet though. what has your Doctor been telling you?
|

he has been saying to be patient, that any changes, tingling, and so forth is good... means the nerves are healing... the extraction has traumatized/bruised the nerves so it takes a WHILE to heal Sad Very rarely is it permanent but it is a long process... Me too when I feel the itch/tingle/ I am like OHH YES YES SOON but it seems to be the same.. for me I think I feel VERY SLIIGHT improvement but I can not tell for sure because when I use something to stroke over my lip and chin I don't feel it but I think I have more sensation in the corner of my lip than I did a few days ago.. so at this rate I feel mine is gonna take WEEKS! Sad Praying for miracles for you and me!
|
Users who thank MariaParr for this post: natmoo 

I heard some people take weeks, months or even years! OMG.. I pray yours will go away MUCH SOON!!!
|

Thank You for those prayers we need them. My doc says samething but its like pulling teeth no pun intended!to get any thoughts from him. Thats good with your improvement anything beats a blank. I'll check back with you to see how you are doing.
|

replied December 8th, 2012
I have the same problem too. I got all four of my wisdom teeth taken out on 12/4/12. I was fine the day of the extraction, but my front bottom teeth were hurting. I just thought maybe he was pushing on them or something while I was out. The next day (12/5/12) I got "chipmunk cheeks" lol and I was icing my jaw a lot to keep the swelling down (taking breaks in between) and I thought maybe the cold (from the ice pack) was making it worse so I haven't used an ice pack since (my cheeks are going down btw), but still almost 4 days after they still hurt really bad. I didn't have any pain from the extraction, just a sore jaw. I've been taking my pain medication for my bottom front teeth. Hopefully it goes away soon, it sucks at night trying to sleep with this pain.
|

User Profile
replied December 25th, 2012
I have the same pain too. I had nerve-type pain just in one front tooth before my wisdom tooth extraction, and it has returned after. Before the extraction I put it down to the rotten wisdom affecting the nerve, and now I think that the nerve has been disturbed by what turned out to be a very brutal extraction. The dentist took 40 minutes to get the my lower left wisdom out, as it was wrapped around my jaw bone and laying horizontally. It was absolute hell on earth, and I was literally crying in the chair with the pressure exerted. It didn't hurt, it just scared the hell out of me, and I felt my jaw was going to either dislocate (I have TMJ) or break. As soon as the tooth was out, I was booted out of the door with a 'do salt water rinses' instruction, and nothing more. When I got home, my lips were torn to pieces and had blood all over them, my cheek was huge and the pain unreal. Since then, my recovery has been just as hellish. I have had 2 lots of antibiotics for an infection, and 2 weeks later, am still in pain, and popping Ibuprofen like candy. I rue the day I EVER let this person take my tooth out to be honest. I would rather let it rot in my mouth than go through that hell again! Never again. If my remaining 2 wisdoms need removing, I either will say no, or demand to be knocked out. I truly hope we can ALL get better soon.
|

replied January 9th, 2013
So, I figured out what my issue was lol I am 28 and by that age your roots in wisdom teeth are already grown to the point were they're hitting your nerve. When I had the wisdom teeth removed the damn oral surgeon should've explained to me that I could possibly get nerve damage due my age (but he didn't). Anyway, when he pulled my wisdom teeth out it must of hit or irritated the nerve, that's why I was having a lot of pain on my front bottom teeth. When I went back the dentist said it can take weeks, months or years to heal or it could be permanent (the numbness). The pain I was feeling was the nerve healing (thank god)!! I started feeling better towards the end of December. I was ok within 2 weeks, however, I still have a huge hole on my bottom left side (from the wisdom tooth extraction). It's taking forever to close, I have to rinse my mouth out so much because food always gets stuck in there ...but I'd rather rinse my mouth out I DO NOT want an infection.
|

replied December 30th, 2012
4 weeks POST wisdom extraction/ paraesthesia continues
OK.. so it's 4 weeks and 3 days and my paraesthesia still remains.. I am a little frantic now, because for the past week, the tingling has greatly subsided.. I don't know if it is good or bad... my numbness remains.. it feels like that area around my lip/chin is so tight and stiff.. and if I tap on it.. I feel jolt like electric currents ... My dr says it takes time and has me seeing another oral maxifacial surgeon on Wednesday for a 2nd opinion but says.. patience and time ... My question is... IS THIS A SIGN OF HEALING? I could not find any articles on the many I googled on "Signs of oral paraesthesia healing" other than.. "pins n needles/ tingling is a sign".. WHAT ELSE!!!???
|

replied July 27th, 2013
4 wisdom teeth out, finally normal after 3 weeks
Had 4 wisdom teeth out, one of which completely horizontal and very difficult to remove. My teeth on that side hurt for 3 weeks, I couldn't eat normally till about 3 and a half weeks in. I'm finally noticing the swelling going down almost completely and I am able to talk normally without tightness in my jaw. It felt like it kept slipping out of place and I couldn't open my mouth hardly at all. I was freaking out because I had a bunch of complications like having a bad reaction to both the antibiotic and the painkiller, as well as the actual dental work triggering a migraine that lasted for three days, finally I threw up so much that I was getting dehydrated and went to the ER. All I can say is wait it out, it does go away, even if you don't bounce back as quickly as your friends did.
|

replied August 28th, 2013
This is so helpful I had 7 teeth including three wisdom teeth removed in preparation for braces. None of the extraction sights are painful however on my left side where my tooth was impacted and root was curved is still killing me. I feel like someone is squeezing my lower front teeth together and am still numb on that side of my lip and chin. I am almost a week past surgery.
|

replied September 28th, 2013
Wisdom tooth removal now possible nerve damage
Something happend to me I just had my left wisom tooth removed in 22 I was never warned about nerve damage my front bottom teeth hurt and my top tooth where I had a crowning done hurts too and I was fine before oral surgery to remove wisom tooth. I feel the tingling as well when I open my mouth and move my tongue now my question is can we sue if damage doesn't go away specially if I was never warned??
|

replied March 27th, 2014
I had all four wisdoms removed and its been hell. I'm pretty sure the nerve was damaged on the bottom right as it had curly roots and . Its been 4 weeks since the operation and I'm still in pain. I'm on constant pain killers. The pain coms from that extraction area, through my ear and all along to my front teeth. I agree that they are not upfront about the sheer agony that will or could be experienced. I'm really hoping that time will heal ......
|

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2014
Before any oral surgeon begins the surgery, he most definitely takes X-rays to examine the surgical sites. You can actually see the nerve below the jaw line in the X-ray.

If this nerve is even touched you will have numbness and even searing pain for an extended period of time. If this nerve is extremely damaged or even torn, you have the possibility of permanent nerve damage which results in permanent numbness. It is a very uneasy feeling when you think about it. Imagine getting a shot of novacaine that never goes away.

Anyway, when the doc takes X-rays he should see whether or not the tooth if entangled in the nerve, or curved under it or near it. He should advise you that there is a possibility of accidentally hitting the nerve, and that in the operation, he has to make the decision, because more then likely you are out of it.

They should advise you of all the possiblities, make you sign forms, etc, etc. There is really no helping the situation. If you need them out, you need them out. They will be a menace in the future and eventually rip your gums a new one, or break the molars next to it. If your jaw is big enough to contain them, leave them be, but like I said, if they are ANY kind of problem, just get them out. I'm talking cavities, root canal, etc. Don't waste the money, just remove them.

My advice, tough it out, but if the numbness, pain lasts for more than 2 months, you're most likely going to experience it for a very, very long time.

Though, this is all speculation. Every person is different.

Keep your mouths healthy and clean.

-John
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2014
Pain and swelling in your gums and tooth socket where the tooth was removed is really expected after wisdom tooth extraction. because if you don't feel any pain after, problems lies with it.
|