Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Pain in center of throat

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
hi, am 28. I have this major problem in my throat. after having lunch or even after having some juice or water too, my throat pains. it pain exactly in the centre part. also i have started burping a lot. after the burp its kind of cramp coming up. which is extremely painful. i have observed this is specially in summer season. cramps are burps are almost together. this remains till my last burp. am a vegetarian.

pls sugggest some remedy, as the pain at times extreme

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2010
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A11870
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the pain in throat after eating and problem of retching.
You seem to be afflicted by the problem of gastroesophageal reflux disease which can present with symptoms as described by you. The acid reflux is due to the abnormal relaxation of lower esophageal sphincter when the stomach is full after eating.
Lifestyle changes may be all that is required if symptoms are of short duration and the problem has a recent onset. Raising the head of the bed about 6 inches can prevent acid from flowing into the esophagus when lying down. Using blocks under the head of the bed is more effective than extra pillows. Waiting for several hours after eating before lying down and eating smaller meals may lessen symptoms. Foods (including fatty foods) and beverages (such as caffeinated beverages and alcohol) that make reflux worse should be eaten in limited amounts or eliminated. Smoking, which tends to weaken the sphincter muscle, should be stopped. Not wearing clothes that are tight around the middle of the body and avoiding unnecessary bending may help. If symptoms persist, certain drugs are effective.
You must see your gastroenterologist for the same.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.