Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Pain in arm and chest tightness

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I have a history of panic attacks. Recently I have been having symptoms of pain in my right arm lasting two days and some tightness in my chest. I had an ekg recently while having a major panic attack and they said my heart was fine. Is this another symptom of panic attacks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 21st, 2009
Anxiety and Stress Answer A8646
Hello.

The symptoms you have described may not be part of a panic attack. Typically, symptoms of panic attack last for those 5-10 minutes of the attack.

The pain in the arm and the chest tightness could be part of a generalized anxiety spectrum. If you have had a traumatic experience in the past, panic attacks may be accompanied by anxiety.

You should play safe keep a journal of the events while you are actually having the pain. You should also consider another class of medicines, which are specifically meant to treat panic attacks. Paroxetine is good and effective and probably the mainstay of panic attack treatment.

Regards

This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Panic Attacks , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.