Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

Pain in ankle years after sprain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Almost 3 years I sprained my ankle pretty bad while playing football. I actually tried playing in the game about 3 days after the initial sprain which looking back was a bad idea because I could hardly walk much less run. But about 3 weeks later I was almost pain free and the athletic trainer allowed me to play in a game in which I re-injured the same ankle. After the season was over I allowed the ankle rest until I was without pain and I continued with off-season training without letting the ankle heal completely. Ever since then I have had pain, stiffness, and soreness in my ankle and I am able to "pop" it regularly. In the past few months this has become worse and is almost to the point of being unbearable. I honestly believe that I fractured my ankle and I should have seen a doctor then but I did not do so because the athletic trainer did not tell me to. Is any treatment I could do to relieve this pain or is my best option to see a doctor? And if I do see a doctor what would they be able to do for me? Thank you in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 5th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Yes, I think you may have possibly injured your ankle...See an Orthopedist...He is the best...If ever you play football again, listen to your body....Very often a trainer has the best interest of the team at heart...He doesn't know the pain you are in and even though you want to help the other guys, you are hurting yourself...Good luck...

Caroline
|

replied August 11th, 2009
Yes, I have to agree with Caroline. Trainers often will tell a player to go on anyway, and that is definitely NOT the thing to do with an injury. I just broke my foot and I have been in a cast for weeks. The one thing I learned from this is that when I injured something in the past, I should not have tried to fix it myself. I noticed something wrong with my ankle a while ago and did not go to the doctor, now he is going to take xrays or an MRI and see what happened. My advice: GO TO THE DOCTOR, a podiatrist is doing just fine with my foot, but anything about the foot and ankle probably needs an orthopedic person. I'm not sure podiatrists do ankles, but my podiatrist has been fine so far with the cast and therapy.
|