Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Pain from back hardware

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Hi,
Had a fusion in 2008, L5 S1 location. Since then the pain is worse than before surgery. Pain is always on left side going towards middle of lower back, where the hardware was entered. This may seem funny, but I feel like something grabbing my spine. I have had every test under the sun done to see if screws or cage have slipped or broke, but all tests come back fine. Also have had 4 injections, nothing has worked. I really question the hardware. Is it possible that even if the hardware in my back is ok, can hardware create pain just by being in the back? Has anyone had a hardware injection? My pain doctor won't do it because it's too risky with complications
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2010
Experienced User
Dear kd126,
I have had the same fusion also in 2008 but with the level above also fused and cage support. i am also in constant bad pain and my mobility is way worse since the op. I have never heard either of the possibility of the hardware causing the pain or of a hardware injection. What do you actually mean?
|

replied May 15th, 2010
Hi Quaver,
What I mean is that I am finding people that have pain due to the hardware in their back, even though there are no problems with the hardware due to slippage or being broken. With reading about all kinds of injections such as, nerve block, joint, epidural and so on there is a hardware injection. This is where they do the injection at the hardware location.
|

replied May 15th, 2010
Hi Quaver,
What I mean is that I am finding people that have pain due to the hardware in their back, even though there are no problems with the hardware due to slippage or being broken. With reading about all kinds of injections such as, nerve block, joint, epidural and so on there is a hardware injection. This is where they do the injection at the hardware location. If there is relief than you know that it is the hardware.
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2010
Experienced User
hi kd126,

I have had nerve blocks, electrical frequency, epidural etc and none of them helped but actually made me worse. They think I could be allergic to something in the medium in which the pain killers are contained when they inject me. I found a course of oral steroids gave me some relief but it was short lived. I don't want to be on long term steroids. Like you there is apparently nothing wrong with the fusion. they say that I have chronic pain syndrome and should keep taking the medication or at least some of the medics do. My G.P. says I can't be on this medication forever. I'm sick of it all!
|

replied September 17th, 2010
Hi kd126, i have the same observation as you. I am wondering the same things and have noticed the same things you are describing on the boards. I wonder if my new recent pain is from the hardware, even if placement appears ok. I had l5-s1 fusion in dec. 08, did great for 21 months, now first leg pain since pre-surgery. One week of massive flare up with both legs in pain. MRI shows other discs good for most part so it's not them apparently. What about that hardware, or possibly the SI joint area, are what I'm wondering about. Like you though kd126, I can't see anyone posting the conclusions of their stories when they say they are having hardware removal. It's killing me with suspense, especially Chase.
|

replied September 17th, 2010
Hi kd126, i have the same observation as you. I am wondering the same things and have noticed the same things you are describing on the boards. I wonder if my new recent pain is from the hardware, even if placement appears ok. I had l5-s1 fusion in dec. 08, did great for 21 months, now first leg pain since pre-surgery. One week of massive flare up with both legs in pain. MRI shows other discs good for most part so it's not them apparently. What about that hardware, or possibly the SI joint area, are what I'm wondering about. Like you though kd126, I can't see anyone posting the conclusions of their stories when they say they are having hardware removal. It's killing me with suspense, especially Chase.
|