Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Pain following gallbladder removal

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I am about 5 weeks post op following my gallbladder removal. I continue to experience pain (usually mild) where my gallbladder was. My main problem is that whenever I attempt exercise like hiking or vigorous yard work, the pain intensifies and also becomes accompanied by a stabbing pain in my back just below my right shoulder blade. When the activity is discontinued, the pain slowly subsides over a period of days. What could be causing this, and what should I request of my surgeon? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2009
Advanced Support Team
I am not an expert by any means, but it sounds like the operation could impact some of the muscles in your abdomen. Muscles tend to heal pretty slowly, so it's not surprising that after 5 weeks you may still experience pain.

Have you tried to reach the doctor by phone?
|

When I met with the surgeon two weeks after, I was not experiencing this pain even though I had been walking two miles per day. This pain did not begin until about a week ago. Guess I just overdid the exercise that day and need to give it a little more time to heal.
|

User Profile
Advanced Support Team
Rest is always a good idea, however I would contact him again just to be sure. He may be able to rule out any complications rather quickly.
|