Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Pain, bloated stomach relieved laying on lft side, farting

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
I've been experiencing an abdominal pain on my lower abdomen area when i sat a long period of time, and my tummy becomes bloated, and a sudden sharp pain into my lower abdomen (above the pelvis area). when i lay down facing on the left side, then i fart (3 times), it relives the pain and eventually my bloated tummy backs to normal. why is that happening? is there a problem on my body that i should consult a doctor right away?
please help to clear my mind...

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2012
Abdominal Pain Answer A32198
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Your symptoms are probably due to indigestion related issues, irregular dietary habits, or ingestion of excess gas while eating.

The distended stomach due to bloating, occurs when you eat stuff, that produces excess of gas. In severe cases, the distension can cause abdominal discomfort. Chronic constipation can also have a additive effect here.

Cauliflower, eggs, and meat are most likely to produce the smelliest farts. Beans produce a greater quantity of gas, but not particularly smelly farts. In general, foods with little fiber produce very little gas.

First and foremost, you need to avoid foods that make your symptoms increase. Adopting a healthy dietary practices and a good exercise regimen will also improve your intestinal motility. x

In addition, taking probiotic supplements and activated charcoal tablets (Charcoal, Charcocaps, FLATUNA, GASNIL), will help in reliving your symptoms to a certain extent.

When malabsorption (reduced food absorption) occurs due to certain medical conditions, excess gas in the intestines, fever, weight loss, blood in stools, crampy abdominal pain and excessive flatulence is seen. Some conditions include - diverticulosis (with an overgrowth of bacteria), Celiac sprue, pancreatic diseases, lactose intolerance, Giardiasis,

In such condition, treatment of the underlying medical condition is needed after due evaluation. Hence if your symptoms persist even after following the above suggested measures, you should consult with a gastroenterologist for proper advice.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.