Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Pain between ribs on left

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
hiya, iv been suffering in silence for a few weeks now, but its starting to worry me, im a 26 year old female who is in good health as far as i know, but the past few weeks iv been experiencing pain just on the left side of my chest, between what seems like the 1st and 2nd ribs, it radiates sometimes up through my chest into my throat and UP the back of my neck, my shoulder and my arm, sometimes the pain sarts in my throat and goes DOWN into my chest, shouler and arm, its a dull ache sometimes and others it can be a stabbing pain my chest itself when i breath out also feels sore, i notice sometimes when moving my head i feel a grinding at the baseof my skull, i dont know if this is of any significance, and just below my shoulders at what seems like the very top of the thoracic spine, to touch, is a little sore, my fingers and top of my hand are also starting to hurt :-S any idea what this cud be? please please get back to me, im quite worried, more so about the chest pain, thanks x

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2009
Chest Pain Answer A8235
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You like to know what is the cause of the pain that you feel in your chest, shoulder and arm and sometimes in your hand and fingers.

Pain in the chest may appear in one of the following conditions: heart attack, pneumonia, asthma gone bad, atelectasis due to lung injury, stiffness of the muscles, pressure of the nerves that command these muscles, over curved spinal column and etc.

Given the data the you provided, of stabbing chest pain, shoulder and arm pain, pain in hands and fingers, grinding at the base of your skull while moving your head, it is likely that you have a medical condition. The pain that you feel may be caused by the pressure of the vertebra at the nerves that command the muscles on the chest, shoulder, arm, hand and fingers.

You may consider reducing the movement of the head in sudden and sharp way and to avoid the grinding at the base of the skull. You may also consider seeing your doctor for further information about diagnosis and treatment options. You may have a X-ray of you neck spine column to rule out any degeneration of the vertebra. You may also consider seeing cardiologist to rule out heart attack.

Please keep in mind that I provide with medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as cardiologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.