Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Pain behind breast bone and cough

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I have had pain behind the breast bone and a cough off and on for at least 3-4 months. The doctor seems to think the pain was from coughing, but I have my doubts. Now I have a sore throat for over a week with no other cold symptoms. The three seem to be related.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Chronic cough, indeed, can cause chest and breast bone pains.
I think you may have an acid reflux issue.
When stomach acid is backing up in your esophagus, you may feel burning sensation or pain behind your breast bone.
This may also lead to chronic cough due to chronic acid irritation and reflexes that result in spasm of the airways that can cause shortness of breath and coughing.
Chronic sore throat is another symptom of acid reflux, since chronic irritation of throat due to acid reflux leads to painful or sore throat.

See a gastroenterologist!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply