Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Pain associated with GERD and alcohol consumption

Must Read
GERD affects up to 20% of all American adults. But what are the characteristics of this gastro-intestinal disease? And what are some effects of GERD?...
GERD can be uncomfortable. But who is at risk of developing GERD? And what muscle is responsible for GERD? Read on for risk factors and causes of GERD here....
How do you know if you're having heartburn or a heart attack? We define symptoms of both ... plus details on when to seek help for GERD here....
User Profile
Is this pain most likely because of my stomach issues or could this be something else that I should have checked out?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2009
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A5489

Current medical status: I have been experiencing severe pain in my whole back, shoulder blades, and around the bottom of my ribcage when consuming alcohol. I drink about once a month and the pain lasts for about 20 min and then goes away suddenly. I have been diagnosed with GERD and a hiatal hernia. I have an appointment with the gastroenterologist in May.
Current medical treatment: currently take a protein pump inhibitor

The symptoms you reported might be related to your previously diagnosed conditions: GERD and hiatal hernia. Alcohol causes increased secretion of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. Combined with the hiatal hernia, part of the acid might go back in the lower part of the esophagus, causing chronic inflammation of the unprotected mucosa. This inflammation, when temporarily worsened with gastric acid reflux, is characterized with pain in the areas you previously mentioned. When the acid goes further into the intestines (approximately 20 minutes in your case), the pain disappears.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.