Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Pain and gas with parastomal hernia

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
Hi! I'm new here. I had hernia surgery 4 years ago to repair 3 hernias...2 umbilical and one inuagral. I have an underlying connective tissue disorder called Ehlers Danloss which is the reason for all the hernias. In Sept/08 I had bowel surgery which ended up in a resection with a temp loop ileostomy. This was reversed in March/09. Now I have another hernia (parastomal??) around the site where the stoma was. I am feelng rather discouraged as it has been one surgery after another for me, year after year. My question is...is it normal to have alot of pain and gas with the type of hernia that I have?? It is almost unbearable at times it hurts so much. My surgeon is scheduling my repair for October. When I have the gas pains my tummy pops out in the area of the hernia lump. I can feel my bowels moving when I put my hand there...it's really noticible. Is this normal??? Thanks for your replies.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 30th, 2009
Unfortunately, parastomal hernias are rather common and, yes, they can be uncomfortable. The greatest potential danger from hernias is the possibility of bowel strangulation and bowel obstruction, which can be life-threatening complications of hernias. If you should develop severe abdominal pain and distension with nausea and vomiting, then these symptoms could be a sign of bowel obstruction or/and strangulation, and you would need to be seen by a surgeon on an emergency basis.

Your parastomal hernia can be repaired at the time that your temporary loop ileostomy is reversed by your surgeon.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.