Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Pain after Hernia Surgery

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hello Everyone,

I had laparoscopic surgery 13 weeks ago to repair 1 umbilical and 2 inguinal hernias. The doctor used mesh for the repair. I had a lot of pain after surgery, but noticed right away that one spot was way worse than the rest. The pain is located 3 to 4 inches below my belly button and runs horizontally to the top of my right hip. I also have internal pain that almost feels like the screen is flipping or folding. I do notice that digestion of food and shortly before bowel movement make it hurt worse.

I told my doctor about the problem about 4 weeks after surgery. The doctors reaction was, "Thats the area on top of the screen, it needs time to heal" So I waited a total of 13 weeks now and went back to see the doctor this past Tuesday. The doctor checked me out and said everything looks great. After telling the doctor about the painful area, I was told again “its the top of the screen and it needs to heal”. I was given a script for ibuprofen 800 and told to take 3 a day and come back to see them in 2 weeks. Im doing this, but let me tell ya, these ibuprofen do nothing for the pain.

I read everywhere that people are healing in 2 to 4 weeks with my surgery. I would completely agree with that time frame on 90% of my repair. That last 10% is more painful than the hernias I went in to repair. Its very painful at times and very sensitive the touch. I have trouble sleeping and its very hard to wear pants other than joggers with the elastic cut out.

I guess I dont really have a question, but am looking for advise. Has anyone else had problems like this? Any idea what might be causing it? The hernia locations feel very strong and there is no pain, its just that one area.

Thank you for any advise!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 8th, 2010
I'm having the same problem. I had two inguinal hernia repairs two weeks ago today. The pain was extremely severe for about five days. Then, the overall pain started to lessen. I was left with a dull, minor pain at the surgery sites (orthoscopic surgery)...but, two days ago had an entirely different kind of pain eminating from the second repair site. It was so severe that I would buckle over...doesn't happen when i'm laying down. If I walk slowly, it might be ok..but sometimes it just comes out of nowhere and is a stabbing (life an ice pic) kind of pain...it's extreme...Sounds similar to your circumstance..but i'm only at the two week mark. I, too , am interested in a response from others.
|

replied January 11th, 2010
I had umblican hernia repair three weeks ago. The pain was sever few days after the surgery then it started to lessen. but few days ago I had very sever pain in the left side of my tummy. I told the doctor about it and said this might be due to surgery and it will go. I had an ultrasound and was OK. Now I am on voltarin 100 to 150 daily. Yet it goes and come.
|

replied January 14th, 2010
Why do I have sever right shoulder pain after my hernia surgrey?
|

replied June 21st, 2010
hernia repair pain
My dad and I both had hiatal hernias which were repaired with the mesh screens. I had my surgery about 9 weeks ago. My dad warned me that just as I would get to feeling better that I would have intense stabbing pain. His doctor told him that it was only where the mesh was healing and there was nothing that they could do. About 2 days ago, I started having the stabbing pains. They come and go but they are extremely intense. I haven't been to the doctor because I don't want to get the same response. It helps to know that we are not the only ones going thru it. I hope this response helps.
|

replied February 25th, 2012
Hello. On April 21 2010 I was told i had a Large hiatal hernia. My doctor said i needed a surgery since it was going upwards towards my chest & a laser surgery we did. A week in & i was vomiting anything that goes in my mouth even water. I lost a-lot of weight & i kept getting sicker. & than slowly sometime in 2011 i started to be able to eat more. But since than i been feeling nothing but pain and my belly is always bloated & as of now there saying i need to be dilated.? Which i have been 3 times already. They also added if i undo the surgery the bloating will all go away but there's a chance the Hernia will return & even cause me cancer in the long run. I don't understand the point of everything done to me if i'm still feeling the pain even worse. Each time he does the scope on me to look around. He repeats himself saying the surgery looks fine. & that's Wonderful to hear!!!! BUT why is the pain back and much worse than before .? I really feel like a mess & i really want my life back. someone please give me some help on what i can do from this point on & thank you
|

replied May 31st, 2012
Hello, thanks everyone for your comments. I had bilateral laproscopic inguinal hernia repair two weeks ago. I too was feeling pretty good by day 9 or 10 and was even up for jogging 2-3 miles. Then two days ago, I began feeling sharp pain on my left side 2 inches or so below my belly button. The pain goes down into the groin area, to the top part of my thigh. What the heck is this? I worry that I was too active too early and messed up the mesh. Is this possible? To those of you who experienced this sharp pain, did it eventually go away? Thanks!
|

replied October 15th, 2014
Sept 22, 2014, I had a ventral hernia surgery located above my belly button in my upper abs between my rib cage. I had laryscopy. Everything seems ok but one thing..... I'm just starting my fourth week of recovery. I am pretty much still bed ridden. Im better than I was the first two weeks but I have reached a stage that if I walk around or am up in any way more than 10-15 minutes I start getting this intense stabbing burning pain that stops me in my tracks. Nevermind trying to do anything else....I can't. I tried to go to the store..darn near killed me.....so right now I'm icing the area when it smarts, taking meds, and try to walk 4-5 times a day. I am hoping this starts getting better soon. The doctor said it would hurt....she wasn't kidding. My last visit a week ago she said its one of the most painful surgeries I could ever have. I hope this helps. Positive vibes for all who are going through this.
|