Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Pain after hernia mesh repair

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
hernia mesh repair in 2004
I had a inguinal hernia repair in feb 2004. I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night since than. I can not find a dr. that takes the pain seriously, my right side is numb to the touch from mid tummy area down past my groin (right side) almost to my knee. When pushing or touched it sends sharp pains all the through me into instant tears. I can only sleep on my left side because my hip bones are so sore on the right side. I itch a lot at the scar site, it's puffy, and hard. Lately i have had no appetite to eat, i drink a lot of water, sitting down hurts, jeans hurt, face is hot, no fever, constantly feels like a rock sitting there.
I have been to see a dr. he sent me to a surgeon the surgeon pushed on it a few times and said "i want you to go to (4 hour drive) and i'm going to have them deaden the nerves" I did not go because first off with that much of my body numb if something was wrong i wouldn't feel it. I don't know what to do , i have no insurance i have a 3 and a 8 year old and this has effected my life with them so much. I'm divorced and he isn't paying child support. Some advice please.
Oh, i did go to a hernia recall site and i am waiting to hear back from an attorney.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Very rarely, a mash can cause pressure on nerves that can lead to chronic pain in abdomen, groin and leg.
This will need additional corrective intervention (surgery).

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied February 21st, 2009
Do not listen to Marija, meshes do go bad and they go bad a lot more frequently than her or any other doctor would like to admit. The FDA has put out public safety announcements about these meshes and have warned all the doctors involved thank to me a few other who have been dealing with the FDA. I have been fighting this cause since 2006 and I am a personal contact for the FDA/CDRH. I don't know where you live and If I did I may be able to steer you in a direction to a surgeon that may be able to help you, but, you may have to travel some for the quality of care. What it sounds like to me, is the same as what has happened to me and many others as you can see from these boards alone, there are others. It does sound as if the mesh has hardened and is cutting into good tissue and nerves. The doctors will want you to go to pain managemnent for nerve blocks that wont work, you will feel alone and helpless as nothing will help unless you get the mesh out. Its sounds easier thn it is, the operation is lengthy and difficult, mine took over 2 hours, but the damage was already done and nothing the surgeon could do except remove the mesh. The nerve damage was so extensive, I now have a prgressive nerve disorder. Please look into getting the mesh out. I hope this helps and feel better.
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2009
Thanks
I have been to see a surgeon and he wanted to send me to get the nerves deadened. I did not agree to it because of the numbness and pain extent as is. If something is wrong i want to be able to feel it. I did have a steroid shot to a nerve right after it happened but it was my GYN/OB that did it for me. Actually he was the one that found the hernia originally, it was pressing up against a cyst on my overy.

My problem now is i have no health insurance. I am waiting on the medical records from the hospital. They are coming from colorado colorado and i live in northwest kansas, you'd think that they would be faster at it.
Anyway, thanks again.
|

replied February 28th, 2009
omg how i feel for you seriously doesnt america have good health care as i have been told my many many people......this is surprsing to hear but if u can take the trip to australia and wait for like 2 years if u can this si and become a PR(permanent resident) u get to enjoy health care from our governemnt free stuff all around. besdies that i think u should do what the surgeon says cos at the end of the day lesser of 2 evils it would end up better for u in the long run thats what i think in a medical persepective

Matt
|

User Profile
replied February 28th, 2009
Thanks but i can not go to australia. Divorced with 2 kids and custody battle as is, there is no way he would allow the kids to move with me and well, he didn't have anything to do with them 8 years ago until now. So 9 years ago i could have.
I may be getting on health care here finally, i know it's thru the government but it's a start. I just added the kids and myself since the ex can't keep insurance on them.
Hopefully it works out.

I don't want to deaden the nerves because i feel i wouldn't be able to walk. the incision area has always been numb. It is now numb to the touch with severe pain when pushed on starting just under the incision down right side to the crease on the inside of my thigh. Pants and anything that may be tight or put any pressure on (leaning over, sitting wrong, seat belts, laying down, right hip bone is sore) hurts, and that pain/numbness runs almost to my knee. So killing those nerves just seems too much. It's not just the inside on my thigh, it's numb all the way around.

But, i should be getting my medical records any day now... than the follow up with FDA. I do know it was a kugel mesh patch put in February 26, 2004. I thought it was odd the dr. that put it in didn't do a follow up, no one did.
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2009
Me again... Well, i slept 3 hours last night and that was only after getting up and walking around because laying down hurt more than walking.

I did some feeling around last night and i have a large HARD lump that moves near the incision area. The area at my groin and leg hurt so bad to the touch i couldn't bear it and threw up. I don't know.

If i knew about all this before it was recalled i wouldn't have done this, i mean it was done feb 2004. I have been dealing with it for 5 years now. I do have such pain at night that my mind goes straight to "your not gonna wake up" because i do know how bad it can get.

Still no medical records... it shouldn't be taking this long. Still no health insurance... not yet, i'm waiting to hear back from healthwave (low income medical coverage). I don't know what else to do for the pain.
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
Mesh Pain
When the pain get to unbearable for me, I grab the ice pack. I know it is temporary, but it does help to numb the area. I feel your pain. I have been suffering since Dec. 05. I have had my mesh plug and patch removed but the pain continues. I am sorry for what you are going thru, but I hope you know that I and all of us are here for you and for all who need help. Have you filed the adverse event form with the FDA? It won't help your pain, but it will help ensure that the percentages are met so that the FDA can force a recall of these products.
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2009
I have tried ice packs... nothing works. Even 3 Tylenol PM's will get me to sleep but i still wake up every 30 min to 1 hour.

I have not filed with the FDA yet, i am waiting for my medical records to show up so i can get them all the info on the operative report.
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2009
Got my operative report
I never got any response on a new post so i thought i would update here. The Dr. told me it would be the kugel mesh, he must have changed his mind or something. It is the Ethicon Prolene Hernia System PHSE.

The pain in the last few days have been horrible, exhaling while laying down is now at a sharp pain. there is a lump that moves, one day it was down by the pubic bone and 2 nights ago it was up higher above the incision.

I still can't find a dr. that takes it serious. But, than again i need to have health insurance first. I don't know.
|

replied March 30th, 2009
sounds like the mesh could have come undone if it is moving around. It could also be that the mesh was not fastened correctly and it may be a recorrance that is sliding out from the edges. If you are having pain and it doesn't subside, you should go to the emergency room to be looked at, INSURANCE OR NOT. This is something you don't want to guess at or play cat and mouse with. Please go to the ER to be looked at, your health comes first. Good luck and keep us posted.
|

replied April 23rd, 2009
Mesh removed
hi i am going to see my surgeon that performed my surgery on 5/20/08 after having 10.5lb baby- and i have been experiencing more pain every since the surgery. i am wondering if the mesh can be removed and if anyone knows the dangers?
|