Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Pain after fusion he removed the disc Why do I still hurt?

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I am 9 weeks post op from a l3/4 l4/5 fusion. He removed and replaced the disc with artificial ones. I am having sever leg pain from the knee down and still have back spasms. When I told the Dr he acted like I was making it up. He said he removed the disc and there is nothing left to be causing this pain.
Is he correct? Why do I still hurt?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 17th, 2012
Experienced User
I had a partial discectomy and my Dr told me to expect pain to continue for as much as a year . The nerve is damaged and is slow to heal. Depending on the damage it may never heal completely.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
I had back surgery Dec 1, 2012 with L4 and L5 Lumbar Fusion. I've been in chronic horrific pain since. Met w surgeon yesterday reviewed CAT SCAN said fusion is not taken yet. Come back in two months. Asked for epidural which waiting on appt, got script for oxicotin and refills on loratab and soma which doesn't help. will see him in two months, will order at MRI which I'm extremely claustrobic and wont be able to do because they only refer you for closed ones at this hospital. I do not have insurance. Said possibly will need more surgey. If I get out and have a good day then I'm five days down in horrific pain. Unable to work. Can't collect disability or any help am independent contractor. single 48 and trying so hard to recover. Needed to share so many people struggling with same or similar issues. People don't understand the pain level.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
I had back surgery Dec 1, 2012 with L4 and L5 Lumbar Fusion. I've been in chronic horrific pain since. Met w surgeon yesterday reviewed CAT SCAN said fusion is not taken yet. Come back in two months. Asked for epidural which waiting on appt, got script for oxicotin and refills on loratab and soma which doesn't help. will see him in two months, will order at MRI which I'm extremely claustrobic and wont be able to do because they only refer you for closed ones at this hospital. I do not have insurance. Said possibly will need more surgey. If I get out and have a good day then I'm five days down in horrific pain. Unable to work. Can't collect disability or any help am independent contractor. single 48 and trying so hard to recover. Needed to share so many people struggling with same or similar issues. People don't understand the pain level.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
Experienced User
When I got my first mri I took 2 vicoden and they put a towel over my eyes. I had to have them take me out and then went back in and finished. The second one the tech put me in backwards when I told him I was somewhat claustrophobic.

I understand your work problem. I am a farmer and I have to do my work. I have had to modify how I do most jobs.

Many of us do understand the pain.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
And Doctor doesn't seem to care or believe that I am in this much pain. Lack of bed side manners is gone. It's a numbers game of seeing so many patients. I get it ..... but when you are the one in pain you need someone to believe you and to help you. Finding it hard to get any help.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
Experienced User
Not all Drs are like that. My anesthesiologist is great. He explains many things , always answering my questions. Hope you find someone like him.
|