Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Pain after eating and loose stools

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
Hi, i'm a 23 yr old female never had any serious health issues. About 4 weeks ago i started having pain in my stomach after eating and had morning liquid yellow diarhea. went to the doctor gave me some anti spasmic pills and told me to take some blood tests includig CBC, THYROID AND KIDNEYS which all turned out fine. After that the symptoms persisted and i visited a gastroenterologist who gave me different pills *which are still just anti spasm pills. it's been 4 weeks now my stools are not as liquid as before but still loose yellowish brown and i only go to the bathroom once every morning. I also have recurring gas and burping and a constant feeling of bloated stomach. Any help please?? Can it be very serious?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2010
Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Answer A15886
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

You could be suffering from an inflammatory bowel condition such as Celiac Disease/Ulcerative Colitis/Irritable Bowel Syndrome/ Crohn’s disease. All these result in tender abdomen, loose stool or loose stools alternating with constipation, abdominal distention, cramps etc. Parasites in the gut like threadworm, tape worm, giardiasis etc can behave this way. Hence a stool test is a must. Problems of gall bladder and liver or that of pancreas too cannot be ignored.

A number of times a gastroenterologist is able to diagnose these conditions by clinical examination and detailed medical history. At other times a few tests are conducted. Blood tests to rule out anemia, stool test to look for white blood cells, sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy etc are used to diagnose ulcerative colitis. Braium meal and follow through, endoscopy etc are done to rule out GERD, Crohn’s disease etc. Irritable bowel syndrome is diagnosed by elimination of other causes.

Gluten is a complex protein present in four main grains---wheat, rye, barley and oats. If you have gluten intolerance, then you probably have celiac disease or Non Celiac gluten sensitivity. There are blood tests called celiac test to detect gluten intolerance.

Crohn’s disease is a difficult entity to diagnose. An upper GI series using barium dye is done to see the condition of small intestines. The degree of involvement of the large and small intestine may vary from person to person. A biopsy is the most confirmatory. A recent advancement in Crohn’s diagnosis is video capsule endoscopy.

Please discuss this with your gastroenterologist. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.