Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Pain after drinking alcohol (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
After iv had a night out drinking, i find that the next day i have pains at the top of my arm, under my armpits and down the side of my ribs / chest. These areas are very sensitive.
The pains is the same kind of pain you get when you touch a bruise.

Anyone heard of this before? Thanks alot.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper hudsonl
|

replied March 18th, 2009
same problem
i have the same problem, skin and muscle in upper body are are sensitive and even hurts to touch, goes away in about 8 hrs. let me know if u find any info. only thing ive found that is similar cause (rhabdomyolysis)
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2009
Alcohol
Alcohol dehydrates your body & can cause aches or muscle spasms. It could also be something with your kidney's! I'd see a Doctor!!
|

replied May 13th, 2009
me too!
The symptoms you described are exactly the same as what I get after drinking alcohol- until now I've never come across anyone else who has the same problem! People think I'm exaggerating when I tell them about it!
Have you found out any more information?
|

replied June 22nd, 2009
You can be allergic to alcohol and often get rashes, but this seems more serious. Alcohol thins the blood, this can cause bruising, also why you can feel achy after a night out. So does ibuprofen, so if you're taking it for the hangover, you can get even more bruising. Also the liver can play a part in blood clotting. Alcohol affects liver, connection? Maybe this means alcohol will make you more susceptible to bruising from very minor injuries.
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
Arm pain after drinking alcohol
I get the same thing but not every time I drink alcohol. I can go months without it ever bothering me. I can have one or two drinks and I notice my hand(s) start hurting. Then the pain slowly climbs up my arms until it is a deep throbing pain almost like the feel of growing pains. I have to lay completely still for the pain to slightly dull and if I move my arms at all it is the intense pain again. I talked to my rhuematologist about it because I have Still's Disease (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis and it is in remission) but she basically laughed it off and said "don't drink". Just want to figure out why it happens sometimes and others it does not.
|

replied July 13th, 2009
Pain - lower back &lower abdomen 12 hrs.after consumming alc
Hello all, the same has happened to me for the first time. With a tiny difference. its been more than 24 hours after i had a lot of alcohol , and ive had mild pain on my lower back and lower abdomen, this is the first time that something like this happens, and i believe and i believe that i've been dehydrated or i might still be dehydrated,also my urine has a clear color when usually it tends to be slightly yellow,anyhow i'm not sure if the pain is something normal or if i should consult a doctor ASAP. please someone respond to my comment with any suggestions
|

replied August 31st, 2009
I experience almost the same symptoms.. Not everytime, it has happened twice, that when i drink heavily on one day, the next day, I feel severe pain in my left arm going down till my fingers.. the pain is very harsh and reduces only when the hand is laid still for some time. Any movement starts the pain pver again.. the pain only subsides after massage with antipain rubs, much pain killers and long sleep... should I conslt doctor? Or its normal
|

replied December 29th, 2009
24 hours after I overindulge in alcohol i feel bruised
I have been searching for others with these symptoms, and am relieved to have found a few on this site, but has anyone found a reason (besides over-indulging!)? Almost every time I drink too much, 24 hours later--like clockwork--I feel bruised from my neck to my belly. There is no discoloration, it just feels sore to the touch. I have tried to narrow it down to the type of alcohol (wine vs. beer vs. liquor...) but it doesn't seem to matter. Once, a long time ago, I told a doctor about this and he looked at me like I was crazy. But this has been going on for years...Has anyone else out there gotten an explanation from a doc?
|

replied January 1st, 2010
I'm experiencing some of the same symptoms listed above. When I drink, I have arm and joint pain as well as extreme nausea and hot flashes, and it seem to be getting progressively worse each time I consume alcohol. I only drink about once every two months, but after having one glass of champagne for new year's last night, the pain in my joints almost brought me to tears. I've been researching alcohol intolerance and haven't found anything useful. I know it's time to give up alcohol, but I want to know why it causes the pain.

Has anyone had a found a Doctor that could give them an answer?
|

replied September 6th, 2011
if your doing it once every 2 months make sure your taking your vitamins. when you detox, you'll lose it all, so replenish! OK
|

replied February 5th, 2010
pain in forearms after drinking
I get the same pains as alot of you are referring.
I am just curious, are you drinking anything specific.
I have gotten drunk on whiskey and brandy the last 2 times and felt maybe that can be what was affecting me.
|

replied April 5th, 2010
i want to thank all of you i thought i was on the verge off a heart attack it was so painful, i have never had this happen before the pain is awful but i tried the deep heat muscle rub and oh boy it is working wonders i was on the verge off going to hospital i am curious as to what causes it too though
|

replied July 18th, 2010
Skin 'bruised' head to toe after consuming pre-mixed alcohol.WHY
Hi, I experience this sometimes after I drink also. At the moment of writing this, my body is aching all over, even to just sit in the chair, or scracth an itchy bite, even walking! Today is Monday 10:25 am and the effects are from saturday night. I have had them for nearly 24 hours now..usually it has gone away after 6 hours or so..if it isn't gone tomorrow, I'm going to see the doc. I tried to narrow it down to what i was drinking. I rarely if ever drink premixed drinks, or eat foods with preservatives, artificial colours, flavours and additives, so I think it might have something to do with drinking the Jim Beam premixed bottles i was drinking with the coke and additives.
Please if anyone comes up with an answer I would love to hear it!!
cheers,
Leah
|

replied July 27th, 2010
Alcohol-Related Pain and Hodgkin's Disease
Hey, I've been having the same pain for a few years now. I would stop drinking and then start again, hoping this pain would stop, but it wouldn't. I recently decided to look up some possible causes online to see if anyone else has it & if it's normal. I have found several threads that talk about, "Hodgkin's Lymphoma" (previously known as "Hodgkin's Disease"). I found out yesterday that my aunt had Hodgkin's Lymphoma, so I'm going to see a doctor sometime this week, I will post back with what the doctor says.
I hope this helps!
|

replied September 16th, 2010
pain on drinking alcohol
Hi
sorry to tell you all this but pain after drinking alcohol is a classic but rare symptom of Hodgkins lymphoma and I had it.I would get pain in my neck and arms minutes after taking only a sip of alcohol...I put off going to the doctor for a year, and when I did he nor anyone else knew about it,I found out myself and told them and i was right...ive finished my treatment and Im ok but I still watch for the symptom coming back.
|

replied September 20th, 2010
Re: Pain after drinking alcohol
chrismart83 wrote:
After iv had a night out drinking, i find that the next day i have pains at the top of my arm, under my armpits and down the side of my ribs / chest. These areas are very sensitive.
The pains is the same kind of pain you get when you touch a bruise.

Anyone heard of this before? Thanks alot.

Yes, I have the same problem. I suffer with reumathoid Arthritis and i have a glass of wine or two and my whole arm starts to painn the next day. under the armpit and to the left of my chest. anyone having found out what it is please write me.
|

replied June 29th, 2011
Allergic to sulfites??
My friend and I discovered we were allergic to sulfites in wine and other alchoholic drinks. Arthritic symptoms after consuming anything with sulfites (read the label)
|

replied September 26th, 2010
Bruising from alcohol-liver!
I have had bruising feeling from neck and chest area to middle of abdomen,it comes on approx 12 hrs after i have been drinking.I drink vodka and coke.I tend to binge as i dont go out often but i always pay for it the next day
Sometimes this bruised sensation lasts up to three days when even wearing a bra is sore!,My take on this is that i am sure my liver is highly sensitive and that i should not really drink,I find that if i have 4-5 drinks i am usually ok.The last two times i have been out drinking i have consumed quite a lot and was also actually sick as well.My symptoms started when i was 18-19 i am now 31.
|

replied December 22nd, 2010
Hodgkins related ear pain from alochol
I also had this rare symtom of Hodgkins Lymphoma. I would take a sip of alcohol and my ears would feel like they were on fire. The pain was very intense. My oncologist at NY Presbyterian/Columbia had never had another patient with alcohol related ear pain but he had heard of it. I am now 2 years in remission. I urge everyone to see a doctor, just to make sure it is nothing more serious that a vitamin c deficiency.
|

replied January 21st, 2011
it happens to me too.. next day after drinking, even just one drink, and everything from the top of my neck to the bottom of my abdomen hurts on the surface. feels like my nerve endings are exposed. i talked to my doctor about it. she kinda thought i was crazy too i think. she said it was probably being dehydrated or just my bodys way showing that it didnt want to have alcohol. she suggested stocking up on drinks with electrolytes to replenish yourself the next morning after a night of dirnking. gatorade or power ade. seems to help a little, so its worth a shot for everyone else out there who has this annoying problem as well. hope it helps.
|

replied January 30th, 2011
Arm/Stomach pain when drinking alcohol
Hi, I found this post very interesting because I suffer from very similar symptoms and my friends and family do not understand how uncomfortable/painful it can be. About half an hour into drinking alcohol I start to get a pain in my upper arm which gradually gets worse. I have suffered from this since I first started drinking and often have to go and lie on a cold surface before it will ease. Recently however the pain occurs in my stomach as well and I often suffer it randomly without alcohol which has not happened before. I mentioned it to my doctor a couple of years ago and got the standard don't drink response. Now that it is happening more regularly and without alcohol I am beginning to worry more. Any advice/suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks!
|
12 >>