Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Forum

Pain after Carpal Tunnel surgery

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
It's been over a year now since I had my release surgery. I had problems with my surgery and a long recovery period.
Even after the surgery I still have the same pain in my hand. It did not work for me.
Also, I have CTS in my other hand and I refuse to do the surgery on it. I have a lawyer and I go for my first arbritration with my former employers insurance lawyers, on July 8th.
I can no longer work and I cannot use my hands for no more than 10 min. at a time. I have really bad pains all the time, especially at night.
CTS will hender your quality of life and the pain is unbearable.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 30th, 2009
Community Volunteer
The best thing I can tell you to do is to wear the wrist braces...Wear them at night too...IMO, it wrecks your life only if you dwell on it...Type with your hands at stomach level when you are typing...All these things cured me...Believe me I had it bad...I have three wrist braces all over the house...I grab one when I need it....Good luck...

Caroline
|

replied December 31st, 2011
From the perspective of a hand surgeon, sure it's always better to avoid surgery if you can, and many people can with proper modification in use of the hand, including good choice of seating when using a keyboard, proper posture and hand position, possibly foot lumbar and wrist supports, stretching and massage, proper breathing and stress relief, possibly vitamin B6, splinting etc... So there are lots of non-surgical options that should be explored. Just beware of any "quick fix" solutions.For the most part these need to be part of a more comprehensive approach.

Having said that, a lot will depend on the individual case in terms of what the demands are on the patient's hands, and not just at work i.e hobbies, sports, cooking, cleaning, shopping, taking care of children or parents etc.. A lot will also depend on the severity of the condition i.e how much pain, sensory loss, strength loss. Are you dropping things, getting woken at night, problem when you drive etc..?

Evaluation also needs to make sure you have the right diagnosis. Many people think they have carpal tunnel syndrome when in fact it is something else, possibly a neck issue or tendonitis or arthritis or something else. Yet other people have more than one problem going on at once i.e carpal tunnel and a trigger finger etc.. Some people also have associated diabetes or thyroid problems. So many things have to be taken into consideration.

Having said all that, in situations where all else fails or if it is an advanced case, surgery is typically successful. Of course each surgeon is different like with anything in life. Typically I do surgery under local anesthesia with some light sedation, one hand at a time on an ambulatory basis. There are many patients who feel incredibly better the same day as the surgery, while some cases can take longer because the nerve has to "regenerate" But almost everyone has siginificant improvement.

Any surgery can have complications but as surgeries go the complication rate is very low. For my patients the scar is quite small and while it can be tender the first month or so it is very rarely an issue. My patients typically have a bandage on for two weeks and for those two weeks can use the hand but need to keep the bandage dry. Back in the office two weeks after the surgery the bandage comes off, stitches come out and they get just a band aid and exercise instructions.

Hope that helps. Of course speak to your own physician about his experience and his way of doing things and ask questions. Best of luck.
|

replied June 12th, 2011
Carpal tunnel surgery - I don't think it worked
I have had carpal tunnel in both wrists and have just had surgey for the second time. My fist worked perfectly but this last surgery, althought the pain was much worse and constant, did not work for me. I am 6 weeks out and it feels the same if not worse at times. doctors keep telling me to be patient but so far nothing and physical therapy only aggitates it more. I do not know what to do next. any advice for me?
|

replied November 16th, 2011
I just had CPT surgery on Friday, Nov. 11, 2011. I had it done 11 months ago on my right hand and it's the best thing I have ever done. This time I had it done on my left hand, and I am left handed. I'm not even a week into but I have severe numbness in 3 out of 5 fingers and I am extremely worried.

Any advice??
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
yx3sos,

You do not say whether is still the same fingers affected by the CTS or different ones. But, in any case, if the numbness is different than it was before the surgery, you might want to contact the surgeon for advise.

Occasionally a surgical dressing can be too tight and cause discomfort and numbness. But, it should not be disturbed unless you contact your surgeon first.

Good luck.
|