Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Pain after arthroplasty

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I just had arthroplasty on the right side last week. I am in horrible pain. I just wanted to talk to others who have had this surgery and see what their experiences were. I have an incision behind my ear and one inside my ear. I have no hearing in the right ear. I am bruised from my forehead, eye, face, neck, and ear on the right side. The surgeon told me my pain should be better by now, but the past two days it has gotten much worse. It is now day 8 post op. Is this normal? I am on antibiotics and anti inflammatories, and narcotic pain meds, and muscle relaxers. I am just hurting so bad, I did not know if this is normal. Please advise. I would like to know your personal experiences so I can compare. I see the surgeon again on Friday. He said I should not need the pain meds after the next day or so. I don't know how that will even be possible. I am in so much pain. I would love to hear your feedback. Thanks in advance. I hope to talk to someone soon. Take care.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 19th, 2009
Hi tmjpain25,

I haven't experienced what you're going through, but I was wondering if you'd heard of the TMJ Association? There is a forum on that site that is run by others with TMJ, some have had surgery some haven't. I think you'll have a much better chance of finding some answers there.

In the meantime, I hope you pain has greatly reduced and that you are doing well.

Melanie.
|

replied April 22nd, 2009
tmj arthroplasty 1 week ago
I had tmj surgery 1 week ago to remove all of the damaged cartilage that was left over after the 1st surgery didnt work. My right side is still sore and a little painfull and I did bruise significantly (under my chin, cheeks, black eyes) and had alot of swelling. The left side, however, is still killing me. I feel like it may be nerve related. I see my dr tomorrow and hope to get more pain meds (some that work). I think nerve because I also have the inability to raise my left eyebrow since surgery. It is constant and stabbing into my ear cannal. I am trying to be patient, but I really need to get back to my life. I have 2 kids, a husband, a job and starting nursing school in june! I hope this helped some. I think it is normal to a degree. They did go in and do a lot of tearing up of stuff and i am sure they werent easy on us when we were sleeping. good luck to you
|

replied November 29th, 2009
Post surgery pain
To all:I had my bilateral arthroplasty 8 weeks ago!!! and I'm still in pain.. since you experienced same pain I want to share my experience and maybe learn what is there after 3 months? My left side is the one that is hurting the most, with the swelling and the pain. I have to say pain was expected at first 2 weeks and I was even able to manage it, but at week 3 level excalated to a level 10.Since then I had different weird sensations on my keft side, held, ear canal, near eye side... burning, throbbing, stabbing pain.. I actually even describe the worst as a drilling sensation... I live on pain meds and I just need some kind of hope.... thanks for reading
|