Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Pain after ALIF Surgery

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I had ALIF surgery on my L5-S1 disc 3 years ago and basically it has left me in more pain than I was in previous. After my complaints to my Surgeon he ordered a post operative MRI. That MRI does not show anything wrong with my back, but the pain is real, and I've been miserable ever since. Recently I had another MRI ordered by a neurosurgeon, and he said that everything looks fine, that the surgery seemed to have fuzed correctly and offered me no reason for my continued pain. I'm desperate, can someone tell me why I continue to ache so badly from my lower back, down my legs and in to my feet? I have to wear socks at all time or my feet start hurting bad, and I live in South Florida, and its too hot for socks all the time. My origional surgeon was an Orthopedic Surgeon, and he told me that apparently I am amongst the 30% that doesn't respond to the surgery. If that is correct, and everything looks good, then why do I hurt so much???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 11th, 2011
I am also suffering the same problem and the reason I believe is the length of time it took to diagnose. I have had ALIF at l3/l4 and l4/l5 and to be honest some days I still feel almost suicidal, it's lucky I am a gluten for punishment and that I care more for the people I'd leave behind than for myself, but I am amongst many things an eternal optimist coz no matter how bad things get there is always someone worse off than you and I would hate to disrespect them by moaning about how crap things are for me personally. Just keep your chin up and keep learning, make a journal and copy your surgeon in, maybe one day it will help others, I'm convinced they have missed something but if I could pass an army fitness test with a busted ankle and finish 4th out of 46 then I can handle this. But one day I will find an answer and share it. Never give up hope!!!!
|
Did you find this post helpful?