Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Pain across c-section scar

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
About 5 months after my third child was born (c- section as was my 1st) I have been getting a deep pain across my c-section scar especially in the middle. The pain feels quite deep sometimes sharp, sometimes like period pain, bowel pain. I was initially told by my GP that it could be ibs and given a fibre drink to take for 2 months which I did. It appeared to ease the pain (last April). I returned to my GP in October. As I was concerned that it could be my ovaries she did an internal examination and found everything to be ok. She did say that as the pain was where my scar was that the pain was probably due to c scar adhesions and to make sure not to get constipated, I did tell her that the pain can be quite severe sometimes when opening my bowels. Do you think that I should ask for futher tests incase the pain could be from somethong more serious?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2009
Abdominal Pain Answer A5915

According to the data you provided, you might be experiencing adhesions in the scar to the surrounding organs. Pulling them with the adhesions might cause severe pain. On the other hand, more serious conditions can not be ruled out without additional tests. You might want to have at least abdominal and/or transvaginal ultrasound to check for problems with the bowels or the pelvic organs.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.