Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Pain above hernia incision

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I have a sharp pain just above my hernia incision. My doctor said the patch was secure after an exam 2 weeks ago. The pain feels like I’m getting stuck by a needle. The pain usually occurs when I roll over in bed or turn my body to reach for something behind me. I exercise 3-4 times per week and have no issues when I perform squats or leg exercises. The only time I notice pain in the gym is when I’m crawling on the floor to get into position for a floor exercise. As anyone experienced a similar issue? If yes, how long before the pain disappeared? The Dr. told me to come back in 6 weeks to if I’m doing better. I feel like the pain is actually becoming more frequent.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Sharp, stabbing pain at the incision site is due to nerves damage during the surgery.
Nerves run through abdominal muscle wall as a thin fibers and can be pinched easily.
This is expectible complication following hernia repair.
If this pain has developed within 24 hour of surgery, is probably due to permanent nerve damage, but if it has appeared days after surgery, probably will recover within 2-4 weeks.
Sometimes, placed mesh can lead to chronic nerve irritation manifested as a pain.

Your surgeon will give you the true answer.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied June 14th, 2009
Hernia Pain
After 1 year of having had a hernia surgery I still feel pain. Not excruitianting rolling on the ground pain but just enough to make me stop what i'm doing. I have had the pain for the entire year and have gone back to my doctor three times. And went to the surgeon once. I had a cat scan done and everything still seems to be in tact. Having read over your article about nerve damage, this seems to me, to be the only reasonable explanation left. The surgeon did not use mesh but rather a stitched technique. I feel the pain mostly post work out, and mostly after benching and curling days. Will the pain ever go away? And other than quiting exercising, is there something I can try to do to alleviate or rid my self of the pain?
|