Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

Ovarian pain- feels like something exploding inside me

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Twice now i have woke up with excruciating pain in my ovaries. The first time, about 4 months ago was worse on the right side. So severe that i couldn't even cry. It felt as if i had a knife in my ovary. Then when i went to the toilet it felt as though something exploded inside of me. After the severe excruciating pain subsided my whole lower abdomen was a bad dull ache that hurt to move.
I went to the doctor but they couldn't tell what it was.

This morning i woke again with sharp pains in my ovaries. Both ovaries this time. The pain wasn't as bad as the first time but it was still quite severe. Throughout the day today it has been a bad dull ache in my lower abdomen and it hurts to move. What could it be?
I'm 17 years old.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2009
Experienced User
when you went to the doctor, did they check you for ovarian cysts? i would get really bad stabbing pains in my left ovary. turned out i have a 2.4cm cyst on that ovary. i noticed the pain would get worse right before i had to use the bathroom. i would ask your doctor to do an ultrasound, if they havent already.

some women also feel when they are ovulating and that can be painful. after i had my cyst ive been able to feel when i ovulate from my left ovary, but it isnt anything like the pain i felt before. its kind of like a sharp pain that lasts about 12 hours on the day an egg is released from my left ovary.

i hope you find out what is wrong.
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2009
Last time this happened i had an ultrasound but they said that if it had been a cyst that burst then they wouldn't see anything anyway. Nothing showed on that ultrasound.
I'm on the pill and only take the sugar tablets once every three packs as instructed by my doctor due to painful periods that make me really nauseous. So therefore my body shouldn't be releasing eggs.

I couldn't walk because of the pain i was in the other day but thanks so much for your reply.
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2009
Experienced User
I also had horrible periods that caused me to feel nauseous. I never got put on anything, I just dealt with them. Ovarian Cysts run in my family, and I had one that burst on its own, they said it must have burst, because when they did the ultrasound, it wasnt there. BUt I hope you start feelin better!
|

replied July 25th, 2009
I've been on the pill for 10 years now, and when I was younger for 3 years, (i'm 26) and I was recently told that I have a cyst during a routine pelvic exam. I would go to the gyno and get checked out. After a year of random pains I finally know what is causing it.
|

replied January 12th, 2010
Painful Ovulation
In 1999 I had a miscarriage which led to having a DNC. About 6 months after that, I noticed I started having a really heavy feeling in my lower abdomen that would lead to excruciating pain in my ovaries. This would last for a couple of days. then an achy soreness would set in. It took several years for me to figure out that I was ovulating when this happens. I still don't know what it is, but nice to know I don't suffer alone. I don't know why it is so painful, but I do know that I didn't experience that kind of pain when I was in labor
|

replied September 25th, 2010
i always have the same pain exploding and very very painful i give up my doctor is rubbish i dont no what to do about it, im in so much pain when i sneze cough move funny pick something up how do i make my doctor understand.
|