Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

Ovarian cysts and cancer ?

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
User Profile
before my left ovary twisted & ruptured it was seen in whole abdominal ultrasound and transvaginal that both my ovaries has a cysts the cysts in the right side is bigger than my left but the left was the one that rupture, thinking that they have also removed my right ovary in that same operation because it also have a cysts that is bigger than the one that they have removed. after that operation there is sever pain in my lower right abdomen and the pain radiates up to my lower back i asked my doctor but she just said that it was only gas pain, and I was not satisfied with her answer so i took a transvaginal ultrasound and it describe " right ovary w/ a unilocular cystic structure w/ irregular thickened border, measuring 1.5x1.4. (-)minimal free fluid in the cul-de-sac. the normal size of my right ovary last 10/22/2008 is 3.4x2.5x2.7 and now 02/06/2009 is 4x3x3cm i am really concern and deep in my heart i know that maybe this would be cancer. i have members of the family that has cancer

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 14th, 2009
Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Answer A6044
It is, of course, impossible for me to make a diagnosis, or any specific treatment recommendations, over the Internet. Generally speaking, young women frequently develop benign cysts of the ovary due to normal ovarian function. Rarely (and very rarely in your age range), malignant cystic lesions of the ovary can develop. There are certain findings on ultrasound (and CT scans) that are more suggestive of potentially malignant lesions. These include cystic lesions that are enlarging over time (on serial exams), complex cystic lesions, cystic lesions with certain patterns of calcification in them, and cystic lesions that have increased blood flow on the Doppler studies that are performed during ultrasound, for example. When suspicious findings are encountered, a blood test for a substance that is sometimes elevated in cases of ovarian cancer (CA 125) may be ordered, although a normal CA 125 level in the blood does not rule-out ovarian cancer. Also, a family history of ovarian cancer or/and early-onset breast cancer can increase a young woman's risk of having either (or both) of these types of cancer.
It is very unlikely that your back pain is being caused by a single 1/2 inch cyst on your ovary.
The likelihood that the ultrasound findings that you have described are due to an ovarian cancer are small. However, as I have already mentioned, it is absolutely impossible for me to render specific diagnoses or specific treatment recommendations for patients that I have not personally evaluated before. Therefore, my recommendation is that you visit your gynecologist again, and communicate your ongoing anxiety and concerns regarding this cystic lesion in your ovary. At a minimum, I would suggest repeating the pelvic ultrasound again, 3 to 6 months after the previous study. Also, if the radiologist who reviewed your last ultrasound has any concerns that this cystic lesion might be suspicious, then a CA 125 level and, possibly, a CT scan might be in order. If any of these additional studies are suspicious, then a laparoscopy can be performed by your gynecologist to further evaluate this cyst, and possibly biopsy or remove this ovarian lesion, if appropriate.
Robert A. Wascher
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.