Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

oval shaped not painful however at times it does bleeed

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
User Profile
I have had a small lump on my head for ever since I can remember now. As far as I am concerned I was born with the raised lump. It is oval shaped and is not painful however at times it does tend to bleed. It is pale and has dark reddish edges. I am concerned about what this could be.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2014
Skin Cancer Answer A24182
If the lesion is bleeding, it has to be examined by a dermatologist for a proper diagnosis and treatment.

There are a number of congenital skin conditions that can present as lumps, such as mastocytomas or cysts or nevus sebaceus among others, that can be lighter in the center and darker at the edges. For example a nevus sebaceus, which is a yellowish, warty looking plaque without any hair on the scalp, can potentially develop other growths in it that can bleed.

It is difficult to make a diagnosis or prescribe a treatment without seeing and examining the patient, so I recommend seeing a board certified dermatologist for a definitive diagnosis and treatment.

Helping patients achieve a healthy, vibrant appearance through highest quality dermatology care and advanced technological technique.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.