Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Outer ear numbness, inner ear pain

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I have had numbness in the top portion of my outer (left) ear off and on for the past six months. It occurs mostly in the morning and at night while I'm laying in bed and also in my car. Sometimes I have ear pain that shoots inward to what seems like my brain, but this has only happened twice in six months. I went to an ENT about 4 months ago and he was no help for my problem. He put me on decongestants, but after 4 weeks they didn't help. Does anyone have any idea what is going on in my ear?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper alaskafai
|

replied April 4th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy

replied December 13th, 2011
I have the same outer ear numbness.. It hurts so bad and the same with me, mostly in the mornings.. When I have slept on that particular ear.. It is a sharp numbness and I massage it hoping it will subside.. But that does not seem to help, it just starts to go away as the day does.. I am currently in pain management for my back and neck problems and I mentioned it to my doctor and he "says" he has never heard of this. This is actually the first forum that I have read that someone has the same symptons.. Have you found anything else out as yet? Thanks
|

replied February 16th, 2012
I have a tingling sensation and sometimes numbness in the inside of my right ear. This kind of cause me to stretch my jaw area to relax it a bit. I am not sure what is causing it and since I am in a foreign country I do not have that kind of money to visit doctors.. Is this something serious and do I need to consult the doctor. This is happening for about 5 months and started with only an irritation, itching in the ear which urged me to stretch my jaw. Now I get the tingling feeling and numbness and few times feel like something is going to ooze out of the ear though nothing comes and out and the ear bud is also clean.. Please suggest
|
Users who thank alaskafai for this post: PSkaligirl  PSkaligirl 

replied June 25th, 2013
Response to Alaskafai
Alaskafai, did you ever get a definite answer to your issue? I feel like a total weirdo going to a doctor for this, because I can't even really describe the problem. Your description of a 'tingling sensation' is closest to what I feel...it's my right ear, and only a small part of the ear, just inside the outer ear, if that makes sense.
I haven't noticed if it's happening more so in the mornings, but will try to keep track. I don't get any relief stretching out my jaw, at least I dont think so.
If you found out anything else since posting this, I would love to hear how you are doing. Thanks!

alaskafai wrote:
I have a tingling sensation and sometimes numbness in the inside of my right ear. This kind of cause me to stretch my jaw area to relax it a bit. I am not sure what is causing it and since I am in a foreign country I do not have that kind of money to visit doctors.. Is this something serious and do I need to consult the doctor. This is happening for about 5 months and started with only an irritation, itching in the ear which urged me to stretch my jaw. Now I get the tingling feeling and numbness and few times feel like something is going to ooze out of the ear though nothing comes and out and the ear bud is also clean.. Please suggest
|

replied August 24th, 2013
Left ear numbness with burning pain from head to toe left side!!
omg I've had this numbess in my ear with burning pain going down my left arm for 6 months>the DOCTORS look at me as if I'm crazy.I can't take this anymore!I also had difficulty swallowing with this.The numbness is on my face and scalp too?I'm so lost as to WHY doctors are of no help anymore and if you have FIBROMYALGIA too that is EVERY LAST one of your problems so NOTHING is ever taken serious.help!!! ; (
|