Our basement is thick with black mold. I just walk downstairs and it's everywhere. My husband says that it's no big deal. I have a 4 year old girl and a 2.5 year old girl. However, our health doesn't concern him. I think what might scare him is a confirmed case of prostrate or testicular cancer associated with black mold. Maybe a confirmed case in death in children. That might scare him too. But mostly, testicular cancer would send him into action. It's a huge fight between us, and I thought maybe some cold hard facts, not testimonials, would convince him.
You don't want to live with thick black mold. Mold symptoms are similar to carbon monoxide poisoning, only mold victims also experience a real increase in static electricity zaps. This is because the mold has actually changed the chemical makeup of their skin. You need to contact Albert Donnay, M.H.S. of Multiple Chemical Sensitive Research & Referral, a nonprofit in Maryland that helps.
I don't want to disrespect the responder who characterized exposure to mould increasing the frequency of static electricity, but please, check your sources. In my 10 plus years of experience as an engineer and as an indoor air quality professional for Northern AQS in Canada, I've yet to see or hear of a link between static electricity and airborne mould contamination. Mould requires 3 conditions to support growth; an organic food source, a temperature range supportive of life and elevated moisture levels. Moisture levels that support microbial growth (greater than 65% RH)would not generally be within the range that static electricity is common within the home. Additionally, carbon monoxide poisoning does not present symptoms similar to airborne mould contamination. Carbon Monoxide displaces air and results in suffocation (and eventually death), in the vast majority of instances (save for exposure to a known toxic variety) the body's response to airborne microbial contamination (mold) is similar to exposure to other allergen's which the individual has a sensitivity to. I don't want to minimize the seriousness of the original poster's problem, you need to have a professional identify and quantify the severity of your issue.
The basement is a common place for mold to grow, here's what I found on this topic: Basements & Crawl spaces have the most potential of developing mold than any other area of the home because of their damp environments & moisture. Mold can develop frequently on wooden materials in the basement especially in the framing. This can lead to allergies & symptoms of mold which can also cause mold poisoning, you can find more on this subject here http://www.blackmoldremovalsupport.com/mol
The article says There are also less common symptoms that black mold causes including respiratory infections, seizure, heart attack, chronic fatigue, infertility, swollen lymph nodes, multiple sclerosis, depression, anxiety, stress & inability to deal with stress, weight gain, panic attacks, etc.
That should be enough to make your husband take black mold seriously!!