Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pain Management Forum

Osteoporosis at 48 with chronic pain

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
User Profile
-2.9 at hips and -3.0 on the spine from my last scan. I am 48 and the Evista only seemed to cause breast tenderness and pain, so I stopped taking it and the Celebrex was causing stomach pain. Now I am told that I may have to take daily injections as my physician believes that with these results at my current age, I am headed for trouble. Currently I am taking 800-1600 mg of ibubrofen but like the Celebrex, its causing some stomach issues and still the pain is there, barely makes walking or standing tolerable.

I am not looking forward to finding a way to pay $1200 a month for this treatment. Is there anything new out there? Non-narcotic and no steroids?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 24th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
is your osteoporosis caused by another condition is there a reason you have osteoporosis while you are still so young
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2010
I was surgically menopaused at age 25 thanks to military doctors at Tripler (nickname 'Cripler') army medical center. I was not informed of later-life consequences of this procedure and at the time, I was a smoker and my doctor thought it in my best interest to not take hormones until I quit.

It appears that is the cause of my bone loss. As to what is preventing me from creating bone, is a mystery. I consume quite a bit of calcium in the form of dairy and I have added supplements (they really need to make the pills smaller!). I will be having my next scan in August to see how I am fairing. I just wish the pain wasn't so much of an issue.
|

replied May 31st, 2010
Dear JustKuu,

I've been doing a lot of research on osteoporosis recently because my best friend was just diagnosed with it about a month ago and was very upset about the diagnosis, plus the fact that her doctor casually prescribed her Fosamax as a solution.

What I read is frightening. Drugs like Fosamax and Boniva actually MORE at risk of bone fractures rather than less likely because they make the bones more brittle. What's important is to eat a more alkalising diet. Saveourbones.com is a good source of information.

But here's the big surprise--pasteurized milk, although alkaline in nature and although it contains calcium--is actually ACIDIFYING to the human body, AND it is a poor source of Calcium because your body can't absorb the calcium in pasteurized milk. Instead the acidifying characteristics of pasteurized milk are more likely to leach calcium OUT of your bones rather than put calcium into the bones.

Fresh vegetables are more likely to be alkalizing while meat and dairy are more likely to be acidifying, although raw milk and yogurt WITHOUT ANY sugar in it are alkalizing.

Osteoporosis is NOT a disease. It was redefined in 1998 to be a 'disease' (which is stupid--osteoporosis is a natural part of the aging process CAN be reversed through diet and exercise). However, re-defining osteoporosis to be a 'disease' is a Golden Goose that serves the drug companies (who make Boniva and Fosimax) very well. Think about it--think about all the baby-boomers who will be diagnosed with the (false) disease of osteoporosis and will end up taking prescription drugs for it (even though these drugs are harmful and will probably ultimately be pulled off the market).

Go to 'saveourbones.com.'

Good luck.
|

replied June 1st, 2010
Amongst the various bone disorders, the most dangerous and deadly disease is osteoporosis, which is more common in women as compared to men.
However, this generally occurs after the age of 40. The most threatening aspect of this disease is the consequences, which includes the breaking of the bones no matter where they are located.
Either it is the hipbone, wrist bone or the spine bone; it basically gets thin and weakens resulting into collapse of the joint and bone.
Therefore, this is a very serious bone disorder, which demands strong care towards the bones and immediate care once the symptoms are identified. However, during osteoporosis, the bones ultimately break once they become weak.
On the other hand, usually this deadly disease affects the hipbones and the wrist bone as well as the vertebrae in the middle of the back.
|

replied June 1st, 2010
Dear Schnapy,

What you're saying is not true. First, Osteoporosis is NOT a 'disease'--it is a natural process of aging. It was re-defined as a disease in 1998, possibly for political reasons, because re-defining it as a 'disease' opened the floodgates for drug companies to market poorly-studied drugs to 'treat' osteoporosis. Imagine the size of their market as baby boomers age!

Secondly, your comment that osteoporosis is "the most dangerous and deadly 'disease' is also not true. HOW is it 'deadly?' Will you explain to us 'why it is so dangerous and deadly' on this site? Less than 5% of all Americans break their hips in their lifetimes, and hip surgeries are among the most successful surgeries in the US. Is it worth taking dangerous osteoporosis-'treating' drugs for 25 years, given all the bad side effects, just to avoid the risk of breaking a hip when you're 85 yo?

Third, your comment, "However, during osteoporosis, the bones ultimately break once they become weak" is not only false but it's scare-mongering. Bones do NOT "ultimately break" once they become weak. Most people who have osteoporosis never become debilitated by a broken bone in their lives!

Fourth, your comment, "On the other hand, usually this deadly disease affects the hipbones and the wrist bone as well as the vertebrae in the middle of the back." Um, WHAT 'other hand?' It sounds like you cut and pasted this doesn't-make-sense comment from some other place and added the word "deadly" on your own!

Go to 'saveourbones.com' and learn the truth about osteoporosis--which, by the way, is REVERSIBLE with exercise and diet.
|

replied June 1st, 2010
Dear JustKuu,

Go to 'saveourbones.com.

It will explain that osteoporosis is NOT a disease in the first place and secondly that it is not a "DEADLY disease." Less than 5% of all Americans break their hips in their lifetimes, and hip repair surgeries are among the most successful surgeries in the US anyway.

So is it worth taking bisphosphonate drugs, which have horrible side effects that compromise the quality of your life and which may lead to death on their own? [People DO die as a result of drug complications].

NO. So stop scaring other people. Find out the truth. Sally Field is NOT serving the aging US population well with her TV ads for Boniva. Go to 'saveourbones.com' and read what they have to say. Bone loss IS reversible with weight-bearing exercise and a proper 4-parts alkalizing and One-part acidifying diet.
|

replied September 27th, 2010
Justkuu, Get OFF those bisphosphonates, they're dangerous!
Dear JustKuu,

OMG, I just reread your initial posting of May 22! Do you know what I think is causing your pain?

The BISPHOSPHONATES THEMSELVES! The FDA is only NOW coming under severe scrutiny for its irresponsible approval of a drug called Avandia (see Time Magazine article, "After Avandia: Does the FDA have a Drug Problem?")

Please read the article,Justkuu, because the truth about the FDA is having a direct affect on YOUR health JUSTKUU! You felt pretty healthy BEFORE you started taking these drugs, right?

It's all about money. The very idea that drug companies would come up with a drug--and the FDA would approve it--for 'osteoporosis,' which is just a natural part of aging just like getting wrinkles is--

And then to encourage physicians to give them these Bisphosphonates (which, BTW, are LAUNDRY DETERGENT--look for "Bisphosphonates" on your box of Tide) to otherwise perfectly healthy individuals, and by doing so make these patients endure pain, fatigue, ulcers and often surgery FOR these ulcers--is shameful beyond words.

The drug companies have out-done themselves this time. Shame on them.

Google "dangers of bisphosphonates" and see what you find. And be sure to TELL YOUR DOCTORS what you find.

My heart and prayers are with you, JustKoo. You didn't deserve to have this happen to you.

Ku
|