Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Orencia or Remicade

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
After having RA for over 30yrs my doctor said my blood work is showing 5 x's the inflamation of normal levels and the xrays show "serious bone erosion" in my hands and feet. I've been on Celebrex for 5 yrs and a couple of mo.s ago my BP went up causing severe headaches. Right now I'm only on Prednisone 20mgs a day until 8/22 when I go back to the dr. My question is, has anyone ever been on Remicade or Orencia? My dr. wants me to make a choice between the 2 by the next appt. 8/22 and after reading the side effects I don't want to try either one. i.e,. increased risk of cancer, heart problems, pneumonia and according to other users you pick up every infection going around and you can't fight it off. I would appreciate hearing from someone who has tried one of these meds or knows of another treatment I could mention to the dr.
Thank you.
Animal-Lover.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Are you prone to frequent infections?

Some clinical study results have shown that Orencia is superior drug to Remicade.
It has more favorable safety profile with less side effects than Remicade.
Also, Orencia is administered as a 30-minute intravenous infusion, and, Remicade as a 2-hours infusion.
It takes longer for Orencia to show its effectiveness.
|

replied July 18th, 2011
If I were "Animal Lover," I would choose one or the other without hesitation based on your symptoms. I received no pain relief from Remicade though clinically it showed reduced inflamation. I'm now starting Orencia with hope for pain relief. I wouldn't worry too much about side effects. Bone erosion is serious. I have it in my elbows and am having joint replacement at the Mayo Clinic next month.

Good luck. If one doesn't work, the other may.
|

replied August 4th, 2011
did orencia work better? 19yrs old and need to choose between the two meds
|

replied July 18th, 2011
If I were "Animal Lover," I would choose one or the other without hesitation based on your symptoms. I received no pain relief from Remicade though clinically it showed reduced inflamation. I'm now starting Orencia with hope for pain relief. I wouldn't worry too much about side effects. Bone erosion is serious. I have it in my elbows and am having joint replacement at the Mayo Clinic next month.

Good luck. If one doesn't work, the other may.
|

replied August 4th, 2011
Orencia vs Remicade
How was orencia did it work?- For anyone that started it. Im 19 and have severe RA. Thinking of Orencia and Remicade. Need to choose. PLease help!
|

replied August 4th, 2011
Orencia vs Remicade
How was orencia... did it work?- For anyone that started it. Im 19 and have severe RA. Thinking of Orencia and Remicade. Need to choose. PLease help! Asap
|

replied August 5th, 2011
To the teenager: Talk it over with your doctor. That what he's there for. Everyone reacts differently to these drugs. I had no luck with Remicade so I've started Orencia. If your RA is severe, you should be on some drug such as Enbrel, Remicade, etc. You also have to give whatever drug you start with time to have an effect. It won't be immediate.
|

replied September 27th, 2011
hi, I was on orencia for about two years and found it very good with no side effects,compared with other older drugs. had to change to remicade about six months ago as orencia wore off, remicade seems o.k. but not as good so from my experience the orencia would be a good choice.....I was on enbrel and humira before that,and they would be worth a look at first.........

best of luck!!!!!
|

replied September 30th, 2011
im 23 and have had RA since i was 13, and ive tried enbrel orencia and remicade and im on remicade now and honestly i like orencia better, i felt better on orencia but my rheumatologist insists on trying to increase my dose on remicade...and im on methrotrexate too...
|